Author Topic: Is it any better?  (Read 6362 times)

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Is it any better?
« on: November 29, 2012, 03:39:24 AM »
I continued to work on the finish on this rifle;  mainly the metal finish; particularly, the patchbox lid.      I just got around to re-photographing it yesterday.   I am ashamed to say that the original photographs were part of the problem.   I had overexposed parts of the gun making it look lighter than it really was.   These new photos are much more accurate.    The gun still looks much better in a dark room, though. :D     Did I make matters any better?    The silver wire is still there.   So, I know some of you will still not like it.   

Thanks,

Mark

Offline duca

Re: Is it any better?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 04:15:49 AM »
I think it looks Great! Now go and build another...........Lol
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 04:22:51 AM »
There is a lot to like in this rifle Mark.  The overall form shouts "shooter".  I like the fineness, the drop at the comb and heel, and the pitch.  Its colour has great appeal, though the metal finish looks worn and used - not my cup 'o tea.  In short, I'd have been pleased to have built one as good.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 04:40:47 AM »
Mark, it indeed is better. I still think the silver is too bold, not enough tapering and subtlety to it. However, the overall look and feel of this piece is just terrific. The architecture I like very much. There is so much to like about this gun. I happen to like aged pieces, and this one is very well done.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 05:07:32 AM »
The more I think about it the more the thickness of the silver looks right for a strong "bones" gun.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 05:13:46 AM »
That rifle still looks good to me,elegant and graceful.
 Any more silver would be too much and any less,not
enough.
The Jim Chambers late Ketland lock and the close detail
of the lock panel is superb IMHO.I would say this is a
well done rifle.

Bob Roller

billm

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 06:36:29 AM »
What a great rifle!I like the silver alot.Its bold but not overstated.The aged look to the gun adds a warmth that is very appealing to the eye.Very well done.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 08:16:31 PM »
Mark, I will be happy to hang it in my house if it gets to bothering you too much.................. ;D
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Meteorman

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 10:32:49 PM »
she's a beauty.
I like the descending ridge off the back of the lock panel - not sure I've seen that too many times in my limited travels, but it sure adds interest  to my eye.
Can you tell me  - is the bottom line behind the trigger guard a straight line, or is there a gentle radius there? 
Different pictures suggest one and then the other - to me anyway.
thanks for sharing.
/Mike

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 12:57:22 AM »
she's a beauty.
I like the descending ridge off the back of the lock panel - not sure I've seen that too many times in my limited travels, but it sure adds interest  to my eye.
Can you tell me  - is the bottom line behind the trigger guard a straight line, or is there a gentle radius there? 
Different pictures suggest one and then the other - to me anyway.
thanks for sharing.
/Mike

The toe has a most definite curve to it.   

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 01:04:27 AM »
Tim,

It is bothering me mightily, but it must be replaced with a little box of green paper. ;)    If you send me said box,  I would be happy to bring it to your house and hang it on the wall. ;D

Mark

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 01:12:19 AM »
That's what I was afraid of Mark!!  It is a beauty and I bet it doesn't hang around long...
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 03:15:42 AM »
Mark, I'll add my two cents, actually an observation about this piece...

While these types of rifles aren't typically what I'm all that interested in, I love the architecture, the flow, the slim look and what I think are wonderful lines associated with the rifle.  The one aspect I didn't really care for was the rather thick wire inlays.  However, I had the opportunity to see this piece a few weeks ago at the BBQ get together, and was pleasantly surprised.  While the wire is fairly thick, it some how looks different when viewed in person, and to me, came across as being very appropriate, and fit the rifle very well.  I think it's an excellent piece of work.  Even though the rifle is slim, even elegant, the heavier wire speaks to the pieces unadorned and "working gun" persona that I see it as representing. 

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 04:07:34 AM »
Mark, I liked the gun before and I like the gun now. I just don't care for the wire. The architecture and everything else works for me.  I have about two weeks to build a deer gun ....I'd be glad to add some dings and dents. ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 04:09:09 AM »
Like Ed, I also had the opportunity to see and handle the rifle.  I like it.  I understand the boldness of the wire looks unusual in photos and less so, but still unusual in person.  But it is a finely crafted piece.  The elements work well together.

Larry Luck

PS We need to eat more BBQ and see rifles like this.

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 04:23:39 AM »
Well Larry,  I should have another one done by January.     I don't mind coming down to Williamsburg for lunch. :D