Author Topic: Brown Bess Wood Stain?  (Read 2725 times)

medbill

Brown Bess Wood Stain?
« on: December 23, 2008, 04:07:09 AM »
Hey Guys,

What would be the "correct" color and who sells it?  Have a kit coming that I want two work on to keep me from going stir crazy.

Thanks,

Billy

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
Re: Brown Bess Wood Stain?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 06:56:38 AM »
Brown Bess stocks were European walnut and, other then the Navel models that were painted black, did not need a stain the way maples, etc. do.

In sporting guns of the same wood and period a bit of red was added before the finish.
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 07:28:27 AM »
Hey Guys,

What would be the "correct" color and who sells it?  Have a kit coming that I want two work on to keep me from going stir crazy.

Thanks,

Billy

Probably a dark linseed oil. The home cooked kind discussed here from time to time. It colors light English walnut nicely. Takes a week or 2 for the color to develop in most cases.
You can try some  Pilkingtons pre-64 or English red from Brownell's I suppose. But I would not bother just oil it.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

medbill

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 08:07:00 AM »
Brain freeze guys, forgot the factory stock was walnut, its not in my hands yet.  I'll be going with the oil only for sure....well most likely anyway, thank you!