Author Topic: .030 silver sheet--best uses  (Read 2725 times)

Offline rick landes

.030 silver sheet--best uses
« on: December 26, 2008, 04:57:29 PM »
I was able to buy several sheets of .030 silver sheet for next to nothing. Am I correct that this will work fine for cutting into ribbons for wire inlay, but is too thin for flat inlay work.
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: .030 silver sheet--best uses
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 05:49:33 PM »
I would use the silver for escutcheon plates and wrist inlays.  I use silver that is rolled out to .005", .010" and .016" for cutting into ribbons for wire inlay.  Your .030" stuff is pretty heavy, but I've seen some originals that used heavy silver too.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline rick landes

Re: .030 silver sheet--best uses
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 05:05:10 PM »
I would use the silver for escutcheon plates and wrist inlays.  I use silver that is rolled out to .005", .010" and .016" for cutting into ribbons for wire inlay.  Your .030" stuff is pretty heavy, but I've seen some originals that used heavy silver too.

I goofed...so much for that great memory (not)...the sheets are 30 gauge...or .010 so to wire inlay it is. Thanks for the help
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson