Author Topic: Buying black powder  (Read 20247 times)

Offline TMerkley

Re: Buying black powder
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2012, 06:41:58 AM »
What is the difference in the Re-enactor powder versus the FFG etc... grades?  Is there a different granulation size?

William Worth

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2012, 04:03:31 PM »
What is the difference in the Re-enactor powder versus the FFG etc... grades?  Is there a different granulation size?

It's not as well sifted.  The grain size spread is larger.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2012, 05:35:08 PM »

Re-enactor powder is basically floorsweeping quality (the better stuff) or Chinese fireworks powder.  Its meant for people who shoot blanks in re-enactments so nobody cares if it gives uniform ballistics or if it fouls more.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

William Worth

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2012, 11:00:37 PM »
From the Schuetzen web site:

Their 2F granulation size =1.18mm-0.6mm (0.58 spread)
         3F       "                   =0.85mm-0.3mm (0.55 spread)
Reenactor    "                   =1.7mm-.3mm (1.4 spread)

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2012, 02:18:24 AM »
Go to the National Muzzleloading Rifle Assoc website and look up clubs in your vicinity.
  I checked, and they're all upstate.
So, Rick call Tom Henley at 607 754 7968.  Tom is membership 'boss' with the NY ML Federation and he can clue you in re: clubs in So NY....

Rick G.

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2012, 06:35:13 AM »
Thanks Mr. Fisher. I'll give him a call. I'm new at the black powder shooting and there's a lot I need to learn. Reading about it only goes so far, and it would be nice to talk and shoot with someone who knows what they're doing. Thanks again..... 

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2012, 04:45:34 AM »
Only 1 or 2 places in our state that still carries BP.  One of them is www.cainsoutdoor.com and they will sell you 1 pound or 2 or 3, whatever you want.  Just beware that you will have to pay a HAZMAT fee of $20 or $25 to have it shipped to you.  So, it really doesn't pay to just order 1 or 2 pounds, unless you just can't get it anywhere else.  I don't think that anyone mentioned Track of the Wolf, as they also sell it and I am not sure if they have a minimum or not.  Good luck with your new rifle.

dagner

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2012, 07:04:47 PM »
  we have had very good luck over the years  buying our powder from deer creeck  supply south of indinapolis ind.   my cannon buddies and my big gun club buy from them .  if you order by phone from out of state and pay credit card  no sales tax  . they handle swiss -goex -schutsen and chinese the deal is buying by the case .shipping is 20  has net fee  and 20 ups .this is for full case. case is the largest that can be shiped at one package .  the shipping costs are same if couple cans or the case. they beat friendship by a mile in price. the reason stores gave up handling true black powder is the federal expolosisives liecence /laws  -the federal approved  bunker for storeage -and the explosive resistant locked box for small amounts inside of  the store.
dag

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2012, 01:33:52 AM »
My first ever order from Powder Inc. was quite the pleasure today.  I called, left message, they called back within the hour, and took my order. form faxed, done deal. 

now the little elfs are mixing the sulfur and charcoal and saltpeter to fill the cans.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2012, 02:14:59 AM »
My first ever order from Powder Inc. was quite the pleasure today.  I called, left message, they called back within the hour, and took my order. form faxed, done deal. 

now the little elfs are mixing the sulfur and charcoal and saltpeter to fill the cans.
Yep, I've done business with them in the past and will do so again, always a pleasant experience.
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

billm

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2012, 03:57:33 AM »
wow didnt know you guys had such a hassle.I live a half hr from dixons and by 1 pound at a time.then I have another excuse to go there!  Bill

William Worth

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2012, 04:36:17 AM »
In the GREAT state of West Virginia, there is also Premium Powder & Pyrotechnics in Milton, W. Va.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2012, 06:18:58 AM »
Milton WV is only 18 miles from me and I have never
heard of this business. Do you have contact info?

Bob Roller

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2012, 06:51:31 AM »
Milton WV is only 18 miles from me and I have never
heard of this business. Do you have contact info?

http://premiumpowderandpyro.com/
Hold to the Wind

Old Bob

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2012, 05:10:52 AM »
I'm even closer and it's the first for me too. The address is on Barkers Ridge, not far from the TV towers.

William Worth

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2012, 05:39:26 PM »
I'm even closer and it's the first for me too. The address is on Barkers Ridge, not far from the TV towers.

Check in on them and give us a field report.

I bought a case of "mail order" Diamondback from them.  Never have been there though.

Old Bob

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2012, 11:03:08 PM »
I used Google Earth to find the easiest way to get there and it looks like he works out of his house/garage. No sign or anything. I talked to a lady at our church this morning whose address is close to there and she said she had never heard of or seen anything. I reckon it would be best to e-mail him and make an appointment. Their prices look to be a little on the high side and I'm in good shape for powder. They sell German and CCI caps. I know that cap prices have gone up a lot, especially for RWS, but $12/100 is ridiculous. (Musket Caps). Powder prices compare favorably with what I've been seeing on some sites and the bulk price is doable. You have to pick up Goex powder (and caps). I still have many empty cans so that is an option if my other source fails. At the least the hazmat fees can be avoided. I might head that way before long just to see how the ground lays.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2013, 07:44:59 PM »
For folks who aren't "next door" to a distribution point.

And can muster a couple of benji's together all at once...I don't think 17.90 # to my doorstep is bad at all. (price for Goex today-10# lot).  Plus they have all other sorts.  Sure beats knowing who to ask at the store 1.5 hours away, hoping they have your granulation(s) and paying full-on retail for the chance that Bob or Kitty is gone to lunch and you have to wait because they're the only one with the key/combo to the good stuff.

If Bob and Kitty were in my town or even one next door, I'd be glad to support them for their troubles in compliance.  BUT until then, I'm going with them boys in Arkansas-Powder Inc.
Hold to the Wind

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2013, 07:51:52 PM »
the reason stores gave up handling true black powder is the federal expolosisives liecence /laws 

Actually, it's not the federal laws causing the problems, but rather the local fire marshall and local fires codes which dictate how or IF powder can be handled at the retail level.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2013, 03:31:36 AM »
When I first started to get back into shooting blackpowder after a long time away from it I could not believe that the local gunshops didn't carry it. My local guy said his insurance company would drop him like a rock if he brought in a can of it. When I was shooting back in the 70's almost all the gunshops had it and even most of the hardware stores carried it.
We get it through our local club and get good bulk pricing. I shot my new .62 rifle in it's first woodswalk match today. Came in second and don't really have it sighted in good yet. I can see my powder consumption is going to go up some!
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Shootrj2003

« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2013, 10:43:58 PM »
Rick g
  you won't find a lot of people selling BP in N.Y.S. if you do remember them I live up by Port Jervis ,so I run to Honesdale for mine,I keep moving my wife closer and closer to Pa. trying to get across the border next time! I might  buy 5 lbs this time by way of saving on gas but I like the ride anyway.

Rick G.

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2013, 10:56:44 PM »
I wound up getting powder from Grafs. I'm moving northwest in a few months and don't anticipate a problem with my powder supply. Those gun friendly states are nice ;D

FlyingZebra

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2013, 11:59:22 PM »
I also recently bought powder from Graf's.
I had concerns about supply interruptions due to the explosion at Goex, as many other sources were sold out of Goex powder, but got a full case of what I wanted.
Haven't checked their stock since.

Cheers
John