Author Topic: Bees waxed screws??  (Read 5327 times)

LehighBrad

Bees waxed screws??
« on: October 14, 2012, 06:06:58 AM »
When assembling a rifle I read somewhere that some builders rub bees wax on the threads of the screws and around the heads of the screws before installing them. What is the purpose for this?? Weather proofing? Locks the screws into the wood more securely?? Makes removal of the screws easier if need be?? What?

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Bees waxed screws??
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 06:20:09 AM »
Makes screw go in easier and minimizes chance of twisting screw off.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 06:56:05 AM »
What Jim said +1.  It really makes a difference.  Candle wax or paraffin also work but beeswax is probably the best.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline BJH

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 07:04:13 AM »
Soap works well too. BJH
BJH

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 02:30:55 PM »
It is even more important, an absolute necessity, for 18th c wood screws.  I often apply bees wax several times to wood screws before they get fully seated.

Jim

Offline cmac

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 02:57:09 PM »
Toilet ring seal... Makes a screw holder and is a bit stickier than plain wax

SuperCracker

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 04:30:51 PM »
I rolled up a peice of waxed paper so I had a tube about 1/2" wide and 6" long then filled it with melted beeswax (actually a very slightly thinned BW & lard mix). When it cooled you can tear off a little bit of the wax paper to expose the lube stick. It's like a big crayon to screw lube. Easier to use for me and it won't pick up dust and such like a plain stick of BW will.

I intend to try it next with a tube of chapstick when I use up my crayon.

greybeard

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 08:45:40 PM »
The only thing I have ever used is paste floor wax on screws.   Works good on browned barrels too. My tin looks to be older than me!!

Apply to a warm barrel.

Bob

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 11:13:15 PM »
i learned this when I was a small boy. My grandfather was a wood boat builder. All of them built from hardwood. It really helped driving those old slotted wood screws by hand with a old Yankee screwdriver. Bob

Offline Jackie Brown

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 11:48:21 PM »
I keep a lump of beeswax on my work bench all the time.  Every screw gets pulled across it.

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 12:42:00 AM »
Dittos!

mattdog

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 02:49:04 AM »
I use old scented candles.   There are two or three of them variously about the shop.    I rub screws on them and run drill bits into them when drilling by hand.  If using multiple long wood screws I put a high concentration of dish soap 50-50 with water in a paper cup, dip the threads, run 'em in.  Simple, cheap, if you spill it no big deal.

Offline curly

• In GOD we trust
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 01:22:58 PM »
I heat my screws up a bit with a propane torch and melt the threads into bees wax.
Curly

Birddog6

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 03:27:18 PM »
Basically lubricates the screw & lets it go In & Out easier, less chance of buggering up the screw slot & less chance of twisting off the screw. I like to use Kiwi Past Shoe polish in dark brown for dark stocks, neutral for the light stocks.  I keep a lil Exacto blade in it, scrape the wax with the tip of the blade & put that lil dab in the screw hole, rub the screw across the wax & put the crew in.
But have used beeswax & soap as well.  All seem to work well.

JoeG

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 05:54:47 AM »
All the above works well
It will also allow you to get that extra 1/4 turn so all your screw slots line up