Author Topic: Joh Schreit -RCA 18  (Read 8864 times)

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
Joh Schreit -RCA 18
« on: October 21, 2012, 01:18:18 AM »
      Below are some photos of a rendition of the Schreit rifle.   The rifle was built for  ALR member "54Bucks."  Several cosmetic changes in the carving were ordered by the client.  The gun was given a bit more of a stepped wrist than is now on the original.  The trigger guard is of the client's choice, since there have been several different guards on the original.   The rifle is based on a Rice Virginia profile barrel in 58 cal. The Chambers early Germanic lock was seriously tuned by Brad Emig.  The barrel inlet in the client's hand-selected piece of maple was done by Mark Wheland.
When completed, the rifle weighed in at a bit over 8-1/2 lbs.  The client had the rifle built so he could take a Pennsylvania elk with it, when he draws a tag----Mark are you playing the lottery as well?  You might want to hedge that bet...

Ron

"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Joh Schreit -RCA 18
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 01:57:19 AM »
Nice!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 02:06:11 AM »
Its a keeper for shur. My compliments to the maker and owner.. Smylee

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 03:48:47 AM »
That's a dandy.  looks right.
Andover, Vermont

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 04:01:52 AM »
I've always loved that gun. Real nice job on it.

Lucky, what butt plate is that?

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 04:56:58 AM »
Beautiful rifle, Ron. Excellent!
Eric Smith

Offline alex e.

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 05:03:29 AM »
Awesome! [img width= height=]http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/drool1.gif[/img]
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 05:45:14 AM »
Hi Ron,
As usual, beautiful!  You got the feel of an early longrifle perfectly.  Thanks for sharing.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 02:55:12 PM »
Nice job, Ron! Looks great.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 05:01:19 PM »
Ronny.......neat gun, that 58 cal. makes for a great hunting gun.   Have some friends that have shot elk with that 58, it
seems to do a great job.    Right now I'm finishing up a barn gun, kind of CS, stepped wrist, with a great germanic lock
and trigger guard.   Hopefully will be able to get it back for our show in Feb.    I only have one gripe about your gun,
that Davis trigger, or whoever makes it, really jumps out at me.   I also saw the number on the barrel.....holy cow, you
have been busy........Don

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 06:05:19 PM »
Very Nice Ron.  I like it a lot!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Gregory

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 12:42:25 AM »
Always a treat to see your work Ron.

Nicely done.  Photos look warm.  Like you want to hold it.

Greg

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 01:42:26 AM »
Excellent work ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline alex e.

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 02:00:35 AM »
I like it with the more pronounced  stepped wrist.
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 05:32:33 AM »
Nice looking rifle. How is this style Architecture to shoot with a 58 cal?
Looks like it would be comfortable.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 03:38:32 PM »
Ron,

INMHO you captured the feel quite nicely.  It is a very appealing rifle!  Thanks for posting it.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

54Bucks

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 12:19:51 AM »
Nice looking rifle. How is this style Architecture to shoot with a 58 cal?
Looks like it would be comfortable.

I have not had time to shoot it since I picked it up. But I would be shocked if the 9lb + Schreit (yep Ron's scale are light) with a butt plate 2 5/16" wide that's nearly straight, didn't comfortably handle most any load. I know Ron did crack his 100 yd. gong with a .570 ball and 100gr of FFF when he was checking out the sights. That's a not a light charge and it didn't bother him at all except for the cracked gong. Considering Ron has had some recent shoulder problems, my guess is this Schreit will handle a stout load just fine.

54Bucks

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 01:59:11 AM »
 Ron.....or anyone else who needs a good chuckle. Check out the "Schreit for sale at Track of the Wolf. I realize that there is a wide range of interpretation on gunbuilding, values, and sale prices. But many I see listed at TOW, instead of making me say wow or nice, simply make me laugh.

Vomitus

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 04:27:36 AM »
   I took a look and found some top drawer rifles there today.Geez Bucks ;D
Jim Chambers,Bill Shipman,Jack Brooks,M.Markey,Pete Alexander,Homer Dangler and Bruce LePage.All nice looking flintlocks.I'd own any of these.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 05:35:36 PM »
      Thanks for the nice comments on the Schreit rifle.  It is a rather straight forward rifle to build, great architecture w/o being complicated, and rather easy carving.  The rifle was very pleasant to shoot.  A full bore "Elk" load had no more recoil than standard 20 ga. field load.   The buttplate (TOW BP-K5) is wide and and nearly flat.  This buttplate needs a little tweaking to match the one on the original, but is easily modified.
      Now, to the weight, I weighed the rifle at a few oz. over 8-1/2 lbs. on the produce scales that I used at home on the farm to sell chickens etc.   When Mark commented that the rifle weighed over 9lbs. I thought of all the $$ I may have lost back then.  Well I checked the scales through the full range from 1lb. to 10lbs. and they are dead nuts on....  No matter, the gun is not a petite gun, but it was never supposed to be.   If anyone is looking to build an early rifle of large caliber, that is easy on the shoulder and cheek this one fits the bill nicely.

Best wishes

Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 06:46:29 PM »
Eric, I agree and maybe it's a topic worth discussing under another title- maybe "what determines custom longrifle quality or pricing?"  I'm not sure that would stay civil but it might be worth a try.  I'd just like this topic to stay focused on this rifle, the original it's based on, and possibly other related originals or re-creations.
Andover, Vermont