Author Topic: A "Firsts" gun  (Read 4805 times)

northmn

A "Firsts" gun
« on: December 28, 2008, 11:50:41 PM »
http://s550.photobucket.com/albums/ii425/Davidpeck16/?action=view&current=003.jpg
http://s550.photobucket.com/albums/ii425/Davidpeck16/?action=view&current=002.jpg

Just got a tutorial for my Christmas camera and thought I would share a few pictures about my "Firsts" gun.  I call it that because:
1. First gun I have been able to show
2. First gun I have checkered
3. Stocked out of a  blank I cut split out and dried.  It is resting on its "sister" blank from the other side of the tree.  Its birch, I cannot find maple large enough.
4. Haven't built a scratch gun in 10-15 years.
5. Used a barrel I picked up at a gun show that cost $5.00.  It was not quite as nice as I thought and had a little more guncase rust on one side than I thought.  Bore is pristine. 
6. Used a Nock style breech as I put in a breech plug 1 1/2" long to maintain length.
7. Lock was a one I had to reapair as I got it cheap from someone that tried to make a different lock out of it many years ago.  Had to replace the plate and frizzen.
8.  All other parts were parts I picked up many years ago including the barrel rib, trigger guard and buttplate.  The buttplate is an original, probably off an old double that I got for a dollar.
9 Had to ream out the full choke to load it.

It was a fun gun to build which is what its all about.  It was intended to beat around in the brush and not really a show off gun.  I missed my 12 gauge fowler which was a lot nicer and wanted to finish this one before hunting season.  Still has a few little finishing touches which I hope to do this winter. It was made to fit me and does not kick to hard for that light of a shotgun.  I call it my relearning curve gun.  As I said it was fun to build.

DP

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: A "Firsts" gun
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 12:11:30 AM »
The locks on the wrong side???????;D   Other than that I would say you have certainly made a silk purse from all those sow's ears.........So total investment was?? ??? ;)
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Bioprof

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 12:51:20 AM »
I say ya done good!    ;D     I like the way the wood is stained.   Did you use AF?

northmn

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 01:28:19 AM »
I don't have an exact figure for total investment.  The lock plate and frizzen ran about $40.00.  I think I got the lock for about 25.  I don not remember the original cost of the rib.  I made my own thimbles, I had the die cut inlays for the wedge on hand.  I think I payed a couple of dollars for the class 8 bolt I used for a breech plug.  Maybe a little over $100 total.  The stain is an alchohol based one I got through MBS called red walnut.  The trigger guard was originally a replacement for a CVA Mountain rifle that I remodeled.  My next projects will be more traditional.  I was a little rusty.

DP

Offline LynnC

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 06:48:50 PM »
Building with stuff on-hand is a great way to try out things you never tried before without the pressure of thinking your about to screw up a very expensive piece of stock wood or expensive parts.  Sort of skill building.....................Lynn.

The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 07:02:26 PM »
That'll work.  Fit and finish look good.  The birch came out really nicer than expected.  Like most builders getting started, it may take you some time to get over building guns with architecture similar to modern ones or factory muzzleloaders.  There's nothing wrong with that- just depends on how traditional you'd like the architecture to be.  Meanwhile you've gained experience and the pleasure of shooting one you made.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 07:09:52 PM »
Yes, you made something out of near nothing.  Lock IS on wrong side!!

That birch looks a bit thirsty still....  Will she get more 'oil'!? :)

northmn

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 09:07:28 PM »
It will get more oil.  It's styled after a 1830 English styled halfstock not a modern gun.  I used several guns from pictures off this sight for models.  Admitted they were rifles but with a rifle barrel that could be an English styled gun of the times. I have built several "traditional" rifles and fowlers.  The lock I had and the barrel length kind of lent itself to a halfstock of English inspiration.  As to the lock being on the wrong side.  20% correctly and do better with a lock on that side, its the other 80% that want backwards locks.  It is one reason my sales are limited I admit.

DP

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 10:40:04 PM »
Iv'e said it before, but, what the heck. Left handed, right minded! Nice job!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln