Author Topic: Plank Rifles  (Read 15806 times)

ratfacedmcdougal

Re: Plank Rifles
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2013, 02:32:07 PM »
Noodling in the NRA virtual museum I came across this and thought of this thread. Coulda been a plank rifle maybe? Looks almost Bedford-ish to my unschooled eye.

http://www.nramuseum.org/the-museum/the-galleries/the-prospering-new-republic/case-29-the-rifle-shop-and-the-plains-rifle/nicanor-kendall-(windsor,-vt)-underhammer-percussion-rifle.aspx

Too bad the NRA is so very lousy at actually telling us about these guns. Grrrrr. Not so much as caliber or barrel length, much less such insignificant efemera as twist rate. Who is running that outfit?

Aside from being a homely gun, that Quilted Birdseye is some gorgeous wood.
The Shelburne Museum in Shelburne VT recently had a fairly large collection of VT made guns donated by
Terry Tyler of Dorset Vt. Worth the visit if you are in the area.http://shelburnemuseum.org/exhibitions/lock-stock-and-barrel-the-terry-tyler-collection-of-vermont-firearms/
RFMcD
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 02:42:18 PM by ratfacedmcdougal »

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2013, 07:13:04 PM »
Kermit,
The NRA museum rifle you talked about is much like the one I shoot chunk with, except that I have raised the cheek piece. Did you ever get a plank length from anyone? Happy, healthy new year.
Mark
Mark

SPG

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2013, 07:36:39 PM »
Gentlemen,

There's not  a set or required length to the plank. Grab a sawhorse and set a plank so that you can rest the barrel and shoot the target. Some ranges will require different angles and/or lengths.

We have a notch in the front of the 3" by 14" plank we use for resting the barrel. I would guess our plank is 8 feet long.

I have used underhammers for plank shooting and they work well indeed, especially if one stocks them with the typical D.H. Hilliard dog-leg stock.

Steve

Offline Kermit

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2013, 09:48:34 PM »
Mark: never did. I'm starting to think this plank shooting thing is purely fiction. ;D
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2013, 10:30:23 PM »
Kermit,
Might be fiction at that, but might try to make it reality this spring. How's that bench rifle coming along?
Mark
Mark

Offline Kermit

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2013, 10:50:28 PM »
It's getting a little exxercise. Settled on .535 balls, but playing with patches and lubes. Seems to prefer about 100-120 gr of  2X Goex. Mostly shooting with (shudder) a 16x Fecker while I continue messing with my long tube sight. I think I've slowed down on accumulating gadgets--for now. I ever send you a photo?

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2013, 11:01:40 PM »
No, no pics of the finished product. I thought I remembered that barrel being rifled for bullets?
Mark
Mark

Offline Kermit

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2013, 11:07:39 PM »
Maybe I ought to check the twist! Can't remember why I thought it was a RB barrel. A friend has been urging me to try slugs. Don't know if I can handle the slime though. ::)

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2013, 11:29:22 PM »
I may be wrong but I thought it was a rather fast twist. Easy thing to check.
Mark
Mark

Offline Kermit

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2013, 07:30:47 PM »
Just checked it. One in about 68-70 inches. Not so very fast, eh?

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2013, 12:30:53 AM »
Kermit,
No, not very fast at all!! With all the rifles, and barrels, that pass through here I must have yours confused with another. I guess I would stick with the RB also.
Mark
Mark

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2013, 02:33:52 AM »
Noodling in the NRA virtual museum I came across this and thought of this thread. Coulda been a plank rifle maybe? Looks almost Bedford-ish to my unschooled eye.

http://www.nramuseum.org/the-museum/the-galleries/the-prospering-new-republic/case-29-the-rifle-shop-and-the-plains-rifle/nicanor-kendall-(windsor,-vt)-underhammer-percussion-rifle.aspx

Too bad the NRA is so very lousy at actually telling us about these guns. Grrrrr. Not so much as caliber or barrel length, much less such insignificant efemera as twist rate. Who is running that outfit?

Aside from being a homely gun, that Quilted Birdseye is some gorgeous wood.
The Shelburne Museum in Shelburne VT recently had a fairly large collection of VT made guns donated by
Terry Tyler of Dorset Vt. Worth the visit if you are in the area.http://shelburnemuseum.org/exhibitions/lock-stock-and-barrel-the-terry-tyler-collection-of-vermont-firearms/
RFMcD

Actually as underhammers go its pretty handsome. Nice sweep the the buttstock.  No clunky lines no square corners or lumps.
It is as cool as a J Armstrong? Nope. But it was made in a different time and place.
It has to be viewed as what it was and when and where.  There are FL Kentucky's that are far more odious and an even greater percentage of SMRs rate as such.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine