Author Topic: Fishtail Gouges  (Read 3914 times)

Offline Eric Smith

Fishtail Gouges
« on: October 25, 2012, 05:02:04 AM »
One of the carving tools I bought when I decided to make a longrifle from a blank was a fishtail gouge from Phiel. Its a 7F/10. I have found this to be very usefull in carving out the buttstock, especially around the cheekpiece. Anyone else here have a similar fondness for a fishtail gouge?
Eric Smith

Offline Tom Currie

Re: Fishtail Gouges
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 03:55:08 PM »
I have a couple. They probably get used more than most of my other gouges.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 04:54:34 PM »
One of my favorite tools. I have several. I like that the blade narrows, doesn't block the view of what I'm working on as much as a straight gouge. Maybe the shape is just a mental advantage, but I can use every advantage I come across.  :D
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 05:42:24 PM »
I don't think I have one, what do they look like?........Don

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 12:53:49 AM »
Don they look like a normal gouge at the cutting edge but only the last inch of the chisel is forged out to shape the cutting surface.  The rest of the blade is minimal behind the cutting edge.  And they cost even more than the standard shaped Pfeil gouge. For molding of  carving the fishtail might be a little handier but for heavier uses the standard gouge form is probably more secure and durable.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 01:41:22 AM »
I recently bought a 1/16 Pfeil fishtail and it was extremely useful for my tang inlay.

Thanks Acer for your recommendation!

Dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 04:38:28 AM »
Don, there are two fishtails in this pic: First tool on the lower left, then a tiny one lower right.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 04:24:02 PM »
I've only been building for a few years, but when I started I bought a lot of chisels. The more I build I find that I am using less and less chisel shapes. I mostly use palm chisels and I like a flat, a slight curve gouge, and very small curved gouge and a couple of small deep gouges, and 1 very small push veiner, and a couple of bench chisels for breeches and patchbox holes. All the rest of the chisels sit there and get dusty, or rarely get used. I am also finding that I am getting more proficient with a limited pallet of chisels and can do more with less. This was not intentional it just kind of evolved, but I think simplifying a process is usually better. I think this is a case of more is not better, only more confusing.

Black Hand

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 04:44:55 PM »
I have a couple that I made that are my "go-to" chisels for many things.  Very versatile.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 05:34:53 PM »
The older I get, the fewer chisels I use.

I should put the ones I don't use up for sale.  :D  But wait, I might just need them someday.  :D