Author Topic: Patchboxes on Fowlers.  (Read 3917 times)

SuperCracker

Patchboxes on Fowlers.
« on: November 19, 2012, 10:00:44 PM »
I was perusing the blog and saw a very nice Fowler by House with a metal patchbox.

I know patchboxes on fowlers were rare, but historically speaking, how rare? Is it a one in a hundred thing or a one in a million.  Or is it even a none are surviving and there is no evidence thing but we assume that some small percentage had to have had them?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Patchboxes on Fowlers.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 03:02:48 AM »
I am going to make a guess that you mean smoothbore by stating "fowler".  
If so, the answer depends on whether one means a fowling piece, a smooth rifle or a buck and ball gun.  A patchbox would be quite rare on a true fowling piece (normally having no rear sight, a lightweight round or octagon to round barrel, or a very large gauge barrel).  I cannot think of an example of a pure original 1700's fowling piece with a patchbox off hand though I have seen a New England smoothy some might consider a fowling piece with a patchbox.  

On a smooth rifle (rifle built gun with a smoothbore barrel when new) the odds could be quite high.  If carved, it would often have a patchbox.  There are dozens and dozens of guns that were probably made a smooth rifles that have patchboxes.  Look in Shumway's Rifles of Colonial America or Kindig's Thoughts on the kentucky Rifle in it's Golden Age and you will find some makers whose guns are all smoothbored.  That makes it seem likely some of them were smoothies from the get go.

A buck and ball gun which is more plain or intended for militia use would rarely have a patchbox.  But there is one in the back of Shumway's Rifles of Colonial America Volume 2, the "Liberty or Deth" side-opening patchbox gun.

I think the question is "why?"  If your gun needs a patchbox, put one on there.  But most makers of smoothbores, excepting the smooth rifle makers, did not equip their smoothbores with patchboxes.  Look at the existing trade guns, English and Euro fowling pieces, etc.

Herschel and many other makers are not bound by existing originals, and do some great and interesting work.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 03:04:48 AM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

SuperCracker

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 03:47:17 AM »
Thanks, I figured that was the case but it never hurts to ask.

Sorry, I thought that "fowler" and "fowling piece" were fairly interchangeable terms.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 06:23:36 AM »
Most folks do call fowling pieces fowlers though some persnickety folks rightly say that a fowler is a person who hunts fowl, like a farmer is one who farms, and a teacher is a person who teaches, etc.  Not important at all.  But I think the type of smoothbore will have a bearing on the prevalence or scarcity of patchboxes.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Kermit

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 07:11:33 AM »
Why is  it "persnickety" to be right about language? :-\

Some folks here go to great lengths to be historically accurate in the items they produce. Why not also be historically accurate in the language we use to describe them?

Just asking...
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Dave B

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 08:50:07 AM »
I like the way the Grinslade book has broken down he smooth bores by schools and how he recognizes  the Kentucky Fowler for what it is. Not a smooth rifle but the calssic fowler trigger guard, no cheek piece. but in some cases a patch box. I have one that could have been made by Peter Gonter. its the second one down from the top in both photos. It was originally a full stock cut back to a half stock.

Dave Blaisdell

SuperCracker

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 05:19:21 PM »
Thanks guys. Considering how handy it could potentially be to have one I was expecting that there would be some percentage of guns built with them.

also, if we want to be COMPLETELY HC then, in the 18th century, I imagine a smoothbore gun made for shooting birds could probably be known colloquially as something different for every 150 miles you traveled. Gun, Fowling piece, Birding Piece, Fowling gun, Bird Gun, Shot Gun, Shot Piece, maybe even "fowler" somewhere. Mass communication not being around yet so people could attempt to have a uniform language across the entire nation. If anything this is probably closer to the difference between "Soft Drink" and "Pop" or "Y'all and "You All". lol

As I was hitting the Post button I was afraid I'd end up being sorry I asked.  ::)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 05:20:57 PM by Shane T »