Author Topic: Advice on bending a hammer  (Read 4505 times)

oldarcher

Advice on bending a hammer
« on: November 25, 2012, 11:23:17 PM »
Because of the way I had to mount the lock on a Hawken that I am building the hammer is about an eight of an inch from where I want it. It is an old Griffith Lock from the Hawken Shop and I would appreciate any advise on how to bend the hammer back slightly without breaking it. Any thoughts on the color that I have to get the metal before I try to squeeze it slightly? or other suggestions???
Thank you for your help

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Advice on bending a hammer
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 11:52:27 PM »
Is that hammer 1/8"short of the nipple or 1/8" beyond?

Bob Roller

oldarcher

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 02:11:26 AM »
Hi Bob,
It's too long, need to squeeze it just a small amount. The hammer will strike the nipple but just barley clears the bottom of the nipple, and I am concerned that it will not clear with the cap.
Thanks
Tom

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 03:15:58 AM »
Make a shallow cut in the under curve of the hammer,heat it red
and squeeze it in a vise. I have seen at least one original Hawken
done this way and it seems to work. Use the narrowest saw blade you can find.

Bob Roller

oldarcher

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 03:23:17 AM »
I will try your suggestion.....Thank you!
Tom

snowdragon

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 03:36:54 AM »
Pulling the nose of the hammer back is easy, but requires heat. A small tip, say a #0 on an oxy/acetylene set up is perfect, but I have used mappgas also.

You can't compress metal, only stretch it, so figure out where it needs to stretch the most and put the bulk of your heat on that area.  Make it work like a hinge. If you need to bend the nose rearward, put most of the heat just under the thumb spur, on that V shape at the rear of the hammer. Get that area glowing red, then try to carry the red across the crease to the front. Heat the opposite side also, then finish by putting extra heat on that back V area. You're looking for bright red, especially where it needs to stretch to most. Don't try to bend by pulling on the spur, you'll just bend the spur. Try putting a small crecent wrench over the nose and bend down. If you get too much heat on the nose, the recess will collapse. Practice positioning the wrench so you don't get uncoordinated and take too long after the torch is pulled away. Only put enough of the hammer in a vice as you need to hold it tightly, vices suck out heat quickly. You may not feel it bend, so check after you pull down, a little at a time.

When you think you got it right, install the hammer and check the fit with a cap. When you get enough parts in place to drop the hammer, see if it will pop a cap with the first hit. If not, you may need to alter the inside of the recess. When it's perfect, file and sand away all your tool marks

That's all I can think of. Good luck. Bill

oldarcher

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 03:42:09 AM »
Sounds great, Thank you!!!
Tom

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 08:18:40 PM »
If you bend the hammer nose in, you may also need to re-cut the base of the cup that strikes the nipple.  It must contact the nipple squarely, or the nipple will soon become flattened on its edge, and caps won't fit well, and will not go off reliably.  I have several twist drills that I've ground to the slightly tapered shape of the inside of the cup, and flattened the cutting edge with a little relief like a mill bit.  They work splendidly.  The hammer must be secured well in a drill press vise, and at the correct attitude to re-cut the cup to its new angle.  That's how a guy without the proper tools does it anyway.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

oldarcher

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 10:38:11 PM »
That's a good point. I have already bent the hammer with no problem. I will set it up in the mill and use an end mill to recut the face of the hammer.
Thanks

dagner

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 11:15:24 AM »
 i am a expert at putting the lock in the wrong place .always the same to close . i used  propane touch with map gas and a 6 inch creasant wrench. the hole end .put hammer in vice heat till cherry red stick circle end of wrench over hammer  all the way back to frame .with jaws facing up .then just push  end of wrench down.  this is great up to 1/4 inch bend .anthing past  use roller method. over 1/8 inch and now your hammer face starts hitting nipple on the edge .have to redo  hammer face for good square nipple hit or  will gert cap missfires