Author Topic: Jacob George at Kempton  (Read 990 times)

Offline Jdbeck

Jacob George at Kempton
« on: August 06, 2023, 06:34:33 PM »
KRA had a beautiful rifle on display at Kempton. Permission was requested prior to filming.

I know a lot of members don’t always have the opportunity that we have to see these beautiful guns, and I find pictures don’t do them justice. I been trying to do short videos
of rifles I come across.

I apologize on the shaky camera 😂🤣

Hope you enjoy.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Re: Jacob George at Kempton
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2023, 07:15:13 PM »
That's the rifle owned by the local historical society down there, right?  I forget if it's Albany or Greenwich twp.  I know I looked at that one with Rich Hujsa.  It's probably the best surviving George rifle imho, really great piece.

I know George Shumway did a writeup on it in MB many years ago w/ measurements and all that, don't remember specifically when but it's been quite some time now.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Jdbeck

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2023, 07:21:01 PM »
That's the rifle owned by the local historical society down there, right?  I forget if it's Albany or Greenwich twp.  I know I looked at that one with Rich Hujsa.  It's probably the best surviving George rifle imho, really great piece.

I know George Shumway did a writeup on it in MB many years ago w/ measurements and all that, don't remember specifically when but it's been quite some time now.

Yea sir it was donated by the family to the Kutztown Historical Society. Beautiful piece, I really liked the architecture on this one!

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2023, 07:24:55 PM »
BTW, his father Henry George was also a gunsmith and noted as such in his will (Greenwich twp, Berks Co), so one would assume that he (Henry) taught his son Jacob and possibly also Christoffel (Stoffel) Long who was nearby and worked in very similar style.  I think I remember someone mentioning that there was evidence that Henry George was appointed a guardian of Stoffel Long, but Henry died in 1804 iirc so probably Stoffel apprenticed with Jacob who was older.  Would love to see a signed Henry George rifle turn up.  He was old enough to have been working pre-War and during War-era, as well as early Fed period.

KRF has this same rifle up on their facebook page too,

https://www.facebook.com/kentuckyriflefoundation/photos/pcb.2601135386824879/2601134980158253/?type=3&theater

Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2023, 09:10:02 PM »
They had an incredible collection of guns by him there.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Jdbeck

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2023, 05:54:55 AM »
Yes they did, I wish I could have shared them too! But I respect owners not wanting their collection broadcasted over YouTube😂

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2023, 03:16:51 PM »
Yes they did, I wish I could have shared them too! But I respect owners not wanting their collection broadcasted over YouTube😂
I think in some cases the KRA arranges to bring guns together from different collections. The early one was the highlight for me.
Andover, Vermont