Author Topic: Bill Large Barrel  (Read 3621 times)

Offline Herb

Bill Large Barrel
« on: January 11, 2013, 06:46:06 AM »
A friend just got a Bill Large barrel, .375 caliber, with a solid patent breech and tang.  It has W.M.Large, JJJJ and L stamped on the barrel.  The bottom flat has 3855 and the name DARBY on it, and the word SLUG.  Anyone know who Darby is?  Roger also got a pair of slim .50 caliber rifled barrels , threaded but no plugs, drilled for a flashhole (I guess) and three sets of dovetails milled on the bottom flats.  Would these be for a swivel barrel rifle?  They are marked R. Paris & Son  141.
Herb

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Bill Large Barrel
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 03:30:40 PM »
I remember that barrel. It was made for Darby McGraw who was a phone company
employee in Southern Ohio. It has a fast twist for a bullet and should work well with a
250-325 graing bullet for the 38-55 Winchester or the .375 H&H.
It is a very rare item.
I am not sure if Darby is still alive or not. I'm thinking he isn't but hope I'm wrong.

Bob Roller

Paul Griffith

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 04:05:31 PM »
It runs in my mind you are right that Darby is no longer with us. They have been shooting some chunk matches at his range again. Stumptown that is.

If he's reading this he must feel like Mark Twain in a simular situation where he commented that rumors of his death were greatly exagerated.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 06:57:43 PM »
The "Stumptown Long Rifle Shop" Darby is gone according to this obit:

http://www.barnesville-enterprise.com/obituaries/2009/04/29/david-darby-mcgraw-1930-2009

I did not know him, but there was some confusion above.  RIP Mr. McGraw.

Hold to the Wind

Offline AMartin

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 08:32:48 PM »
PM sent ..

Allen

Offline rtp

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 01:30:15 AM »
Mr Roller
Thanks for the info....I am the owner of the WM Large barrel...actually had it for some time.  It is in the white...new...false muzzel is not with it...dang.  I twill make a dandy NRC bench gun.   Now if I had a set of your locks & triggers.
Roger Perry

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 02:07:25 AM »
Roger,
Did that barrel ever have a false muzzle?If you size the bullets to .0005 over bore size,
a false muzzle will not be needed. My locks and triggers are available if you want to use
them.I can make a lock with a hammer designed by Bill Large and I have a few of them.
If you want such a lock,I can make it for$150 and the double set triggers for $50 if bought with the lock.
My personal Email is <bobroller@frontier.com>

Bob Roller

Offline rtp

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 09:30:48 PM »
Mr. Roller
Yes it must have at one time...drilled for pins but not with the barrel any longer.  I have a set of your lock & triggers I'm using on another project.  Let me say they are the best.  Mr Garby is stocking the gun...caplock schutezen...Breisen false muzzelbarrel also in 375.  I'm glad to hear you are still making them.  I'll get with you
Roger