Author Topic: Thoughts of forestock  (Read 3170 times)

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Thoughts of forestock
« on: January 14, 2013, 12:30:18 AM »
I was flipping through RCA volume 1 today and got to thinking about this.  If the purpose of the forestock is not to support anything why is it there?  In working on my most recent build I am working hard to get the forestock down and narrow as seen on the originals and as has been said here before, the stock does not support the barrel, the barrel supports the stock.  That being the case why do we not see half stocks being more common until we do?  Surely the gun stockers back in the day understood this.  Any thoughts?

Coryjoe

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: Thoughts of forestock
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 12:53:04 AM »
I guess it's simply for looks!
A matter of opinion of course, but a nice piece of maple looks better than a chunk of iron.
Depending on the rifle style, you can carve a very nice looking molding down it.
Depending again, it can support a handful of nice inlays.
And if you're just standing around leaning on your rifle on a cold day, the wood forearm is a lot warmer to the touch than a ol' cold barrel.

John  :D
John Robbins

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 01:02:37 AM »
Probably just made to carry the ramrod, an early design carryover.

But we all have full length forestocks on this forum, so there must be something to it, since halfstocks were invented long ago.  ;D
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 01:26:50 AM »
When offered simultaneously fullstocks were less expensive.
Andover, Vermont

snowdragon

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 01:35:10 AM »
If you think about it, fullstocks are easier and cheaper to build than a halfstock, especailly for the backwoods/small town gunsmiths of the time. Cutting the stock back would mean adding a spacer between the ramrod and barrel, and that means adding a rib. Making a rib would mean forging and filing one by hand, adding extra labor and the extra cost of iron. Iron was nowhere near as available as wood, so why not just use more wood? The average colonial blue collar hunter wouldn't have the dough to add a feature to his rifle that wasn't absolutely neccessary.  KISS

European halfstocks had been around for a long time during our longrifle period, but only the upper class could afford them. Almost all military arms, save the the U.S. 1803, were fullstocks, which I assume was due to simplicity and cost efficiency.

If you're accustomed to building Eastern long rifles, and you then try your hand at building a Hawken, the added labor and skill become apparent. Bill

Offline bgf

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 02:05:23 AM »
I'm no expert, but I am just finishing up a halfstock made to look like it had been cut down from a full-stock and modified in other ways over time.  The amount of metal work on the halfstock is significantly more than full-stock.  As just one trivial example, on a true halfstock, the barrel must be finished neatly on all flats (except perhaps the bottom one) for much of its length, whereas we see many full stocks where the unseen flats are finished less than the visible ones.

Also, I've always been skeptical about the simple "barrel supports the forestock" mantra, esp. when people always talk about extreme swamps where the support from the stock is critical to keep barrel from deflecting.  The best way I've come up with it to think about it is that the barrel and forestock being tied together by the pins form a sort of beam structure with significantly more depth than either component alone.  With a halfstock, the barrel must be a little beefier, even with a rib.

Ivey has a few halfstocks from NC, one at least that was originally flint -- they were high-end, I think.  Wood was always cheaper and easier to work than iron, although that is debatable these days.  I also wouldn't be surprised if many of the first generation or two of southern half-stocks weren't used up during the Great Unpleasantness, as they would have been just "new" enough to be considered serviceable, whereas maybe many of the fullstocks were already considered relics and heirlooms or old junk whatever the case was.

Bernard

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 05:40:46 AM »
Just my own thoughts, but I have not seen a half stock rifle with a swamped barrel. It appears to me that it would be a lot of work to fit an under barrel rib to support pipes to a swamped barrel. Many of these early half stocked guns had a soldered rib. That is not a simple process. Most half stocked guns have relatively short barrels compared to full stocked guns. Long, slim barrels, unprotected by stock wood would be very susceptible to bending. The old-timers knew what they were doing even if they didn't articulate it.