Author Topic: Calling Jim Chambers  (Read 5242 times)

Offline t.caster

Calling Jim Chambers
« on: December 30, 2008, 03:38:58 AM »
I am ready to layout the carving on one of your E. Marshall kits after a good 50 hours work. Wondering if you have pics of the underside of the forearm, from the trickker guard to the entry pipe. RCA #41 pics hint at some incise carving ahead of the tricker and something raised or incised behind the entry pipe. Do you have any pics you could post of the original, or ones you built yourself to see how to treat this area? None of the other Christian Spring rifles in RCA I show the underside either. Generally the carving behind the entry pipe is somewhat similar to the carving behind the breech tang.
I am also wondering if the forestock molding is a double line like the lower butt molding, and like RCA #43, fig.43j.
Thank you for your assistance!
If anyone else has pics, please feel free to jump in here too!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 03:40:28 AM by t.caster »
Tom C.

Offline wogden

• Starting Member
Re: Calling Jim Chambers
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 04:45:57 AM »
Order the Edward Marshall rifle drawing from Muzzleloader Builders' Supply
Warren Ogden

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 05:17:15 AM »
Tom,
Warren said exactly what I was going to suggest.  The detailed drawing that Houston Harrison did on the Marshall rifle is right on and has all the details.  If I remember correctly the design behind the entry pipe is similar to the design behind the tang.

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 07:01:05 AM »
T. Caster,
Jim is correct.  I have two drawings of Harrison's.  I built a yeager around the one drawing.  It greatly enhanced my ability to get it right.   
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 09:07:24 PM »
I just plowed thru my drawing file drawer, and that's about the only one I don't have!
I was hoping someone would be nice enough to post a picture.
Tom C.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 01:26:32 AM »
Tom,

I'm currently finishing up the carving on a Chambers, Marshall kit that I've been working on, off and on, for a LONG time.  If I remember correctly, when I was laying out the carving pattern, that area around the entry pipe was the "weak link".  The problem is that the original is so worn that it's difficult to discern what exactly was there.
I've not seen Houston Harrison's drawings, but no doubt, he did a better job of filling in the blanks than I did.  I tried to keep the feel of the tang carving and as close to what I could see on the original.
I may have some pictures on my other computer. ( Come to think of it, my original pics were sent to me by EK before he published that article on his web site and they are the same ones now seen there.)

P.S. Is there any difference posting pictures on this new forum verses the old one?
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 01:58:12 AM »
Jeff,
The only difference is you can copy and paste the [IMG] code direct from your photobucket account to the board and the image will display.  you no longer have to hit the image icon and dlete the upper case [IMG]. 
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 05:16:02 AM »
Thanks Ken!
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Birddog6

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 06:25:34 AM »
Here ya go:

Offline t.caster

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 06:45:00 PM »
Thanks Birddog6, Tallbear also sent me an email with similar images. That's what I'm talkin about!
Simpler layout than I imagined. I may try to improve on it.

Now I won't have to wait for the post rider to arrive next year. I hope no ones rights were infringed upon here.
Tom C.