Author Topic: Chamber's York Kit  (Read 7107 times)

Online smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Chamber's York Kit
« on: January 13, 2013, 12:05:22 AM »
I just finished this kit.  What a challenge stock was broken just ahead of the second RR pipe location.  In trying to repair it, I broke it again, about an inch further forward.  The wood is highly figured, AND the soft part of the figure was fuzzy, and the hard part VERY hard.  Not a fun piece of wood.  I inletted 1/16" rod into both sides of the bottom flat of the barrel channel, to reinforce it, and epoxied in place.  (scared of it breaking again)

Added slight patina on both wood, and metal.  Nice plain gun, and with the reinforcements should be serviceable for a lifetime.
Let me know what you think.

In His grip,

Dane

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
Re: Chamber's York Kit
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 12:09:04 AM »
Good looking rifle. Wish it was mine.
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 02:26:54 AM »
I always like your rifles Dane, this one too!  Sounds like the stock break was a bear.

I must also add your photos are exceptional, great layout and composition. 
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 02:47:05 AM »
I too like to see examples of your work, Dane.  This one is no exception...a very nice looking rifle.  I like building Chambers' kits, though I'm just finishing up my third.  They make into great rifles and fowling pieces.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 02:57:58 AM »
Hi Dane. I have one of those Chambers York kits too, sure hope mine turns out as nice. Sure hope I dont have the same problems you did. Hope to see you in Pheonix next month. Maybe I can pic up some pointers. PM me if you need any more powder measure material.   Smylee

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 03:21:19 AM »
Very nice ;D ya did big. Very sharp pics too
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline duck

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 08:16:11 AM »
Great looking rifle.

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 04:28:12 PM »
Nice rifle! It seems to have a nice level of patina for both the wood and metal. Good job.

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 06:47:45 PM »
Nice clean work with smooth transitions. Nice satin finish. I like it too. I think the colors are great also.

Real nice side plate for the lock. Is that a commercial one, or did you make it?

Thanks for the pics.

Online smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 07:48:13 PM »
Thanks guys for the compliments. 

This one was a challenge, with the broken fore end, and the God awful wood.  The splices just all but disappeared.  You have to know where it is to even see it.  I guess all the additional patina actually helped.

Through my friends on the ALR site, and some serious cheating, with modern appliances, (air brushes, etc.) I'm finally getting the patinas, in the finish, so they don't look like they were added after the fact. 
Even with all the challenges, (inletting rods into the barrel channel, etc.) this one was kind of fun.

Ken, can't take credit for the sideplate.  Pure Chamber's kit parts.
Taylor, it seems no matter how hard I try to get away from kits, these Chambers kits just keep showing up.  If I HAVE to build a kit, Chamber's are the way to go. I keep thinking..... from now on, it's from a plank, then someone wants another one of these put together.  I've got another one in the shop right now.  A NE Fowler, this will be the third one of these I've done, (one of my favorite designs).  I saw one done by the original designer, Mark Silver, @ the CLA show in Lexington this year and fell in love all over again.
I'd have to check for sure, but I know I've built at least a dozen or  more Chamber's kits since I've been building.
It's sure nice to have such great kits to practice and learn on.
Thanks again gang.
In His grip,

Dane

longcarbine54

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 02:19:43 AM »
Very nice rifle...looks great.
Good job on it.

Offline duca

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 02:51:55 AM »
Sweet! Nice looking Rifle, Great job. Enjoy!
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 06:33:57 AM »
The forestock is basically a venier to hold pipes. Take it away and you have a halfstock.

Like it. Really nice architecture.

mtnbum

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 04:53:16 AM »
If you don't mind sharing, what process and materials did you use to age your lock?  It looks great.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 04:53:53 AM by mtnbum »

Online smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 08:03:47 PM »
Allen Martin method.
Brown it till it's totally UGLY and pitted, sand off the surface so that only the pits remain, blue it with cold blue, remove bluing with oil/steel wool.

It's really that easy.  You will need to experiment to see just how long it takes to "pit" to your liking.
Hope that helps.
In His grip,

Dane

Rick G.

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 11:40:11 PM »
Very nice rifle! I'm working on one now, only the lock is on the right (left hand) side!