Author Topic: Start of Fence Post #2 (more engraving photos)  (Read 11860 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Start of Fence Post #2 (more engraving photos)
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 02:10:42 AM »
Mike H,

Thanks.  The brass darkening is accomplished per Jim Kibler's recommendations using a "brass ager" solution sold by a company called Historic House Parts  (http://www.historichouseparts.com/pdshop/shop/category.aspx?catid=107).  I usually finish the brass parts to a 600 grit or so, do the engraving, and blacken the engraving itself with brass black from Birchwood Casey.  I then buff off the surface with 1500 or 2000 grit paper that just takes the black off the surface but leaves the engraving dark.  This also removes any very slight burrs that are left from the engraving.  Then I clean the parts with acetone and rub the brass darkening solution on the part with a cotton ball or piece of folded cheese cloth.  I try not to get it overly dark to start with and rubbing on the solution slows the process.  Usually, you are supposed to immerse the part completely until the desired color is achieved, but this leaves it uniformly colored which doesn't look right.  To me, there should be worn areas that are brighter and other areas that are darker.  The process of rubbing on the solution also leaves the surface a little blotchy which variegates the overall coloring.  To blend it all, I use Taylor's trick of swiping the surfaces, all in one direction, with fine (0000) steel wool.  If I overdo the rub down, I just darken again until it looks right.

I did a very quick job on these parts to get a sense of how they will eventually look.  I won't do the final finishing until I'm ready to assemble the rifle for the final time.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 04:56:35 AM »
Your engraving patterns are very pleasing and well cut.  I love seeing your stuff.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 06:00:06 PM »
Like Taylor said.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2013, 01:40:00 AM »
Taylor, Dan:

Thanks for the vote of confidence.   I was fairly well pleased looking at the parts in my hand, but blown up ten times size on the screen makes me a little nervous.  The shading still looks like I did it with my left foot. 

(I think the answer is smaller photos !)

Dave C
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

wetzel

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2013, 07:50:48 PM »
Dave C,
All I can say is exquisite!  I guess there might be better engravers alive or dead out there, but to me your work is amazing!  My wife and I truly enjoyed the beauty of it.  I have done a few engravings that are not very good, but you gotta start somewhere right?  Still practicing...Do you use all hand gravers or do you use power ones?  Thanks for posting.   

Muggsy1776

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2013, 09:43:03 PM »
Simply wonderful!  I find myself staring so closely at the detail.  I am only beginning to learn engraving and your work is a bit of inspiration to me.  Thanks for posting.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2013, 12:07:10 AM »
Wetzel / Muggsy;

Thanks for the kind words.  I do some of the work with a hand graver, some with a graver and hammer, but most with a 30 year old Gravermeister.  I don't get to work at it enough to get really good, but I have had more time to practice lately.  I enjoy the work and it is a good way for me to "veg out" a little from the very technical work I do for a living.
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780