Author Topic: Load information for Knight Shotgun?  (Read 2173 times)

Online Dave R

Load information for Knight Shotgun?
« on: February 25, 2013, 07:06:11 AM »
My Niece's son is planning on a turkey hunt with a Knight 12 ga ml shotgun,
Anyone had any practical experience with different loads, wads and shot for turkey
hunting?

Thanks!
Dave R

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Load information for Knight Shotgun?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 08:46:44 PM »
I am unfamiliar with the Knight brand shotgun you refer too. The only Knight muzzleloading company I know of makes plastic stocked, pellet driven, primer fired, industrial shortcut specials, that can barely be called a muzzleloader. If thats what he is using, I have no idea or interest in what makes them perform. I think he's missing the fun, and bragging rights, if he's using an inline.

Hungry Horse

bosteldr

Re: Load information for Knight Shotgun?
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 09:51:56 PM »
To get started with use what is referred to as a square load.   That is equal volume of powder and shot.    Here is my load....By volume....  90 grains of powder, an over powder wad (cardboard or paper or cotton ball) 90 grains volume of shot ( I use #5) and then an over shot wad to hold the combination in place.  Put cap on nipple, aim and fire.  Each shot gun is different and using different volumes of shot and powder will produce a different shot spread....For turkey hunting don't shoot over 30 yds.  Black Powder shot guns just cant reach the velocity of modern smokeless.  They are big birds,  If 30 yds or under you will get your bird.  Good luck...do a google search for shot gun loads and for more details.