Author Topic: NMLRA Scoring  (Read 8730 times)

Candle Snuffer

NMLRA Scoring
« on: February 21, 2013, 12:14:30 AM »
Does anyone know when the NMLRA started using the scoring system they have today for scoring targets? 

NMLRA scoring system today [bullet hole breaking the scroing ring line gets the "higher" score value if the bullet hole is centered on that scoring ring line],,, as compared to the NRA scoring method of the bullet hole [touching the scoring ring line] gets that scoring ring value].

Offline heinz

Re: NMLRA Scoring
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 02:02:47 AM »
They were using it in 1966 when I started shooting there.  I do not know when they started.
kind regards, heinz

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 02:14:30 AM »
Thanks heinz, it gets me a bit closer to a date. :)

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 04:39:56 AM »
They were using it in 1961.
The Pistol Shooter

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 04:48:16 AM »
Thanks Frizzen. :)

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 07:18:38 AM »
I think it was in use in 1954.That was my first time to go there and went with E.M."Red"Farris
who was one of the founders. He did almost all the target scoring in the upper level of the club
house and I remember him showing me the way he did it. He used a caliper to determine if the
ball had centered the line of was not quite where it should be to count as a higher number.

Bob Roller

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 07:37:57 AM »
Thank you Bob.   :)

I might mention that in the book, [Muzzle Blast - Earliest Years Plus Volumes I & II - 1939 - 1941]  on page 9 there is a letter from E.M. Farris (dated June 4, 1974), and on the preceeding page there is an August 1948 Muzzle Blast cover with an older man scoring targets who I believe may be E.M. Farris.  By the way, the price of Muzzle Blast back then in 1948 was .20 cent... 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 07:50:12 AM by Candle Snuffer »

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 01:54:17 AM »
Snuffer,
I may be wrong, have been before, but I think the NMLRA has scored 1/2 in the scoring ring right from the beginning. Seems I read it in one of the 40's issues. That older man on the cover of August 48 is definitley Red Farris. His nose was sharper than his pencil.
Mark
Mark

Offline bgf

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 02:17:20 AM »
I don't know if it is relevant, but in case anyone is wondering,  the reason for it was explained to me that, unlike smallbore and similar, ML'er matches are conducted with a large variety of calibers in the same match, so using the NRA method would give unfair advantage to bigger calibers.  It seems to go way back, quite possibly before the NMLRA.

Offline Cobweb

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 02:35:30 AM »
Yep, that's relevant! ;) Shooting gongs with different calibers is easy scoring...hits a hit and miss is a miss! ::)
You're correct about unfair advantage on paper with using the edge of the ball.
As I used to tellm' ... shoot with the center of the ball and not the edge's!
Nobody can help everybody, but everybody can help somebody!

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 04:09:55 AM »
Thanks Mark, bfg, and cobweb.

Agreed about the unfair advantage of a larger ball over a smaller one if NRA scoring was used.  I will go with the thoughts that the NMLRA has used this method from the get go.  However, I do wonder if NRA scoring was used at Portsmouth back in February of 1931 and at other pre NMLRA matches, such as the one held at Aurora, Portage County, Ohio on Nov. 8, 1930?

Regardless, this may never be known for sure, but the idea of the current scoring method of the NMLRA is a fair scoring method for all, and most likely born out of previous shoots prior to the NMLRA.

Again, my thanks to all of you. :)

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 05:40:19 AM »
I AM the blackpowder commitee and sole member of the muzzleloading group in my "Home" club,and as such,I will soon be holding some matches that will be paper type.

I have been shooting "Primitive" muzzleloading since the late '70's,and have shot paper matches MAYBE 3-4 times. Is there some type of a mylar scoring "helper"? I've known it's center ball for scoring,but have never watched it being done.

Where can I go to get the skinny on how to score. Thank's!
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 02:49:44 PM »
http://www.nmlra.org/store.asp?CatID=7

TG2460 - NMLRA scoring card overlay.  :)

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 04:50:54 PM »
Snuffer,
I have some pictyres that are titled "Portsmouth Ohio, Holds First Muzzleloading Rifle Match" that was obviously a chunk match with several targets dated May and October of 1928. There are pictures of the shooting line, some competitors and a rack of rifles. Walter Cline is among the spectators in one pictures. The picture I find neat is a collage of targets. There are no string measurements but some dimensions which may indicate the closest shot to center. the collage is witnessed by Walter Cline, Clyde Ervin, Nartin Mathews and Philip Quayle. Any of you shooting chunk may recognize the name of one of the rifles that was shot, Old Scaly, it is still kicking around today although I'm certain it has been retired.
Mark
Mark

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 02:45:24 AM »
Thanh you Candle Snuffer!
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 04:25:04 AM »
Hope the link is of some help, Pathfinder.

Mark, it would sure be nice to see those pictures.  Any chance of getting them posted?  I'm not very good at chunk gun, but I sure do enjoy it.  I guess I'm not really bad at it - I'm just not very good at it...lol ;D

It would be great to see those 1928 pictures. :)

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 10:38:34 PM »
Snuffer,
I can't post but would try to get some pics of the pics and send them to you. If they are good enough perhaps you can post them.
Mark
Mark

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 11:25:13 PM »
Mark, I haven't used my old scanner in years.  Not sure it even works anymore with my current set up (new computer program)?  If I could figure out a way to do it, I certainly would. :)

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2013, 04:25:41 AM »
Snuffer,
I'l send some to you anyway, hopw you enjoy them.
Mark

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2013, 05:25:54 AM »
Mark, I posted the photos here for all to enjoy.  Seems to me I've seen these before.  Regardless they're always enjoyable to see.
Thanks!

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 03:43:12 PM by Candle Snuffer »

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 06:04:18 PM »
Snuffer,
I'm surprised they came out so well from my camera phone copies, a friend has the originals. I can't swear to it but I think the man in the light hat, glasses and light colored overcoat in the second picture, right of the rifle rack, may be Walter Cline. Thanks for the posting.
Mark
Mark

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 06:53:59 PM »
You're welcome.  As I understand it, Walter Cline took a lot of pictures pretaining to this sport/hobby.  I wonder what pictures he took that we may never see from those days gone by.