Author Topic: New Build Advice  (Read 3218 times)

dannylj

New Build Advice
« on: February 27, 2013, 06:48:05 AM »
What is the smallest diameter octagon barrel I can get in .20ga. I am ready to order parts for a new rifle and want to build a large caliber rifle with an extra .20ga. barrel. It will be a half stock, at least .54, using a late Ketland flintlock, and a really nice piece of maple. I tell myself that my ancestors had Tn. mountain rifles as they moved west to Louisiana and at some point had them cut down. I have made 3 of them and they are great woods guns but this one I want with an extra smoothbore barrel.  Danny

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
Re: New Build Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 07:14:47 AM »
Well track Wolf sells OTR bbl. in both smooth & rifled all with same outside contour.  Other custom makers can fill you in on whats safe. Rayl, DeHaas etc.....Tom

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 06:39:56 PM »
Danny;

I think the smallest .20 ga. barrel I've seen in full octagon is 1" ACTF. But I don't recall who made it.

Hungry Horse

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 07:02:08 PM »
Curiosity dept:

For a replacement system, will you have a hook breech, and a cross key?

Or barrels, each with their own tangs/breechpins?
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 08:10:11 PM »
I've done the multiple barrels thing on a percussion rifle.  It was a lot of work to get everything fitted right.  Then I found flintlocks.
Andover, Vermont

dannylj

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 08:21:26 PM »
I am going to build in a .54 (already have 2 rifles and molds) but order a hook breech with an extra plug to make sure when I order the smooth barrel I have one that will fit. Other than a nice piece of maple I will make everything else to see how cheap I can build one. I need to build at least 4 more rifles to give my sons and grandsons. Got a case of GOEX that should be in the first part of next week. Danny