Author Topic: .45 cal rifled to Smoothbore?  (Read 2937 times)

pushboater

.45 cal rifled to Smoothbore?
« on: February 12, 2013, 03:33:15 AM »
I'm in the process of building a swivel breech and I'm thinking of taking one of my .45 X 13/16" X 36" Green Mountain barrels and having it reamed out to a smoothbore.  I think it would make the gun more versatile and take a little weight off in the process.  I'd like to leave as much metal on the inside of the bore as possible because I plan on swamping the barrels.  Anyone know who could do this type of work for a reasonable price? 

pushboater

Re: .45 cal rifled to Smoothbore?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 08:41:28 PM »
Surely someone knows of a barrel smith with the ability to rebore a barrel.  It seems like it would be a fairly easy operation for someone with the right equipment. 

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 09:32:30 PM »
Bobby Hoyt is usually recommended for this sort of work.
Andover, Vermont

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 10:23:56 PM »
I'd like to leave as much metal on the inside of the bore as possible because I plan on swamping the barrels.   
I would recommend tapering swivel breech barrels over swamping them.  With 13/16" barrels the taper would have to be minimal.  When I was collecting parts for my first swivel breech I had John Getz build me a set of swamped smooth and rifled barrels.  Ended up selling one of the barrels and using the other in a single barrel Jaeger.  My current swivel breech uses 2 Ed Rayl tapered barrels and the balance is way better.  My 2 cents worth.
David 

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 10:47:03 PM »
I think Green Mountain still has some smoothbore octagon barrels in stock. probably cheaper than having one bored out.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/blackpowdermuzzleloaderriflebarrels/smoothborebarrels
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 10:49:20 PM by Chris Treichel »