Author Topic: SWIVEL BREECH RIFLES  (Read 4518 times)

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
SWIVEL BREECH RIFLES
« on: February 16, 2013, 06:09:36 PM »
I  don’t  voiced my opinion on ALR very often  because there are so many very capable gun builders  and expert craftsmen that usually answer questions, and give advise that I agree with.  There is no point in me saying again, what has already been said.   I usually put a long day in, working in my shop and at age seventy five I am so tired that I don’t put my computer on after dinner every night.  When I do I usually answer my e mails first and then click on ALR and I thoroughly enjoy reading about  what is going on in the gun building world.

Lately there has been a lot of interest in swivel breech rifles, which some of you know is my specialty.   I have supplied many of my  kits to gun builders, some of which are the best in the business.  I  have completed over forty swivel  breech rifles myself,  some of which I have posted on this forum.   There are a lot of misconceptions about swivel breech rifles which I feel compelled to address.

First of all Swivel breech rifles do not have to be heavy.  The first one that I built weighed twelve lbs,  too heavy for a hunting rifle.  I realized  then that you can’t build a rifle under nine lbs. when you start out with two barrels that weigh ten lbs.   Don Getz made the  first set of light barrels for me that were .850 at the breech, 32 inches long, tapered to .750  in 50 cal.    This  resulted in a rifle that weighed just over eight and a half lbs.  Since then I purchased 127 barrels from Green Mt. that were .850 at the breech, 32 inches long,  tapered to .750 in 54 cal.  The bigger cal.  took a few more ounces off the weight.   Shortening the barrels to twenty eight inches resulted in bringing the weight down to under eight lbs.  By the way, I am just about out of barrels and when they are gone I will not be  building more swivel breech rifles or kits.

The second issue is accuracy.  Swivel breech rifles were not meant to be bench rifles, and if you insist on comparing them to a thirty lb. bench guns, I will agree they will not shoot as accurate, nor will any single barreled light wt. off hand gun.   If the barrels are loose or not attached securely to the swivel action, of course they will not shoot consistent.  The rifles that I have built have the barrels bolted directly through the swivel plate and into the plug.  The locking pin locks the plates absolutely solid, thanks to my friend Dave Waters suggestions. The barrels are soft soldered together and each barrel has its own set of sights.  My swivel breech rifles shoot just as accurate as any of the single barreled light wt off hand rifles that I have ever made. 

I hope that I have not bored any of you as I have rambled on,  but as you can see I am quite passionate about swivel breech  rifles .   If I  have, please forgive this passionate old guy.

Offline Bill-52

Re: SWIVEL BREECH RIFLES
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 06:51:07 PM »
David,

I always enjoy reading your posts; I learn something every time.  And since this one is about your expertise and passion, it's particularly enlightening. Thanks for sharing.  Look forward to seeing you at Dixon's.

Bill

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 09:19:16 PM »
Well Said David,
I have often admired your work, and its top knotch! I wish I could afford one from yourself.

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 12:33:33 AM »
Davide, it's great to see you posting again on this site.  Having followed your threads, and your tutorials for years, and seen and handled your rifles at Dixon's Fayre, and there having met you personally, I can easily say that when you speak, we should listen - you know whereof you speak.  You have contributed much to the muzzleloading world.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 07:01:49 PM »
David, it is really nice to see you posting here again! Your wealth of knowledge regarding the finest swivel breech rifles is on the top shelf of what many builders are missing these days. I want you to know that producing a high quality, light weight wender is on the top of my bucket list. I have a ways to go before I will be confident with such a project, so you better stick around and find a new barrel source! ;D   Oh yea.....and 75 aint old!
Joel Hall

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 08:07:12 PM »
David. Hate to see you give up swivels because the barrels are gone. They make more and so should you. My ancestors built swivels and they are my favorite.  They too are light. I was hoping to have one recreated. I will pm youth
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 10:54:32 PM »
 Great  to hear from you David. I for one would like to see more of your opinions posted, not only on swivels, always Good information.

Tim C.