Author Topic: Track of the Wolf Bucks County rifle kit - Update #10  (Read 2707 times)

Offline Firelock

Track of the Wolf Bucks County rifle kit - Update #10
« on: February 14, 2013, 03:21:38 PM »
This is the first time in this build where I seriously thought I'd ruined the barrel. I swear I was careful, but I still managed to drill the hole for the touch hole liner too high on the barrel flat.

I believe I was able to get the touch hole in the right location anyway. But I thought I'd have to make a new liner from scratch to get the touch hole where I needed it.

Take away...drill a pilot hole first...duh...

Offline satwel

Re: Track of the Wolf Bucks County rifle kit - Update #10
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 09:54:15 PM »
I wouldn't sweat it. I did the same thing on one of my rifles. The drill bit walked and the hole ended up higher on the barrel flat than my punch mark. I chalked it up to experience and finished the rifle. I figured I could correct the position with an off-center vent liner if I had trouble with ignition. Not only does the rifle fire reliably, but it may be the fastest firing of all my flintlocks. Now I drill a pilot hole first. Lesson learned.

BTW, I like that vise you are using to build the rifle. I've never seen one like it. What kind is it and where did you get it?

Thanks for posting the videos.

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 05:19:24 AM »
That's comforting, my liner ended up a little above sunset.  I pouted for a week. I'm hoping it won't have too big an effect.
Kunk

Offline davebozell

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 02:40:21 PM »
From your video it sounds as if you had to move the hole slightly to get the touch hole in the position that you wanted.  Is that the case?  Just curious how you did it.