Author Topic: Mr. Kibler's Take down rifle  (Read 2732 times)

sweed

Mr. Kibler's Take down rifle
« on: February 19, 2013, 04:23:30 PM »
Reff:  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=24915.0

Hello the camp:

I decided to start a new thread here because I’m very late finding this post. Any way forgive my ignorance on this subject, but……. ;D

What was the purpose of a “take down” long rifle? ??? For all the trouble to take it down, and  possiabley lose parts, you only gain about 16” less length. Then of course you have to have a case of some sort. Then you have to reassemble it, and store the case. I just don’t get it? :-[    By the way, That is one beautiful rifle Mr. Kibler hath wrought.  8)

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Re: Mr. Kibler's Take down rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 04:36:08 PM »
Period writings express the convenience of being able to put the breech in a bucket of water and go at the cleaning. Having the majority of the most vulnerable part of the wood still wrapped around the barrel is a plus. I believe some guns were made as such from the get-go due to convenience of a cased item, fad, reasons above AND to utilize shorter wood without making it half stocked. I also believe some could have been converted to this system later if something happened to the wood out front.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 06:49:49 PM »
used to be you could carry it in a conestoga wagon in the case, then a train and then a plane........now.  If you have a case made of steel you can ship the gun by UPS, FedEx and take it in your baggage on a plane with a reasonable chance that it will arrive in the multiple pieces it started in.  ::) ::) ::)  ;D ;D ;D ;D  (shorter cases navigte the corners in conveyors better..... you don't want to see one stuck in a corner!!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 06:51:40 PM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 09:19:21 AM »
There may have been other country's that have done the take down long guns but my understanding is that it was practiced most in England. This is where the well to do, non landed Gentry took up the shooting sports they required the ability to take down a long gun that could be cased and put under the seat in the carriage for the ride out to where the sporting could be readily found at their Landed cousins estates.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 02:48:42 PM »
I think,and it's MY opinion,it's a way for the gun builder to SHOW OFF! As if Jim needs to show off!

It takes a whole new set of skill's to build a BEAUTIFUL gun such as that. Building a precise gun like Jim's is one thing,but then to make it a take down? Holy cow!

And sometimes ya just need a little extra space in the closet!
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!