Author Topic: Oxidation of Lead Round Balls  (Read 11627 times)

Jeff Peters

Oxidation of Lead Round Balls
« on: February 10, 2013, 08:30:02 PM »
I was at a local muzzle loading  clubs gun sale last week and I bought some Hornaday round balls at a good price
They were at a good price, cold swagged and in old boxes, the same size I regularly use, I thought for plinking what the heck
After I got them home I noticed that there was a bit of oxidation on them.
I used a micrometer on them and they are at the size noted on the box
What is the best way to clean them off and prevent this from happening to others.
I store my round lead balls in their original boxes, in sealed ammo cans.
I haven't noticed this on any of the boxes that I have stored

As always thanks in advance for the help

Jeff

Offline mark esterly

Re: Oxidation of Lead Round Balls
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 09:17:01 PM »
the sealed ammo cans do a good job of keeping the moisture out.  i live in a very humid area.  the lead i've cast and stored in cardboard boxes do oxidize quite a bit. i don't worry about it.  what i store in plastic peanut butter jars does not and is just as shiney as the day it was cast.  the slugs cast and stored pre-lubed with crisco/wax mix in t/c maxi slug boxes oxidizes badly to the point of flaking.
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 09:38:09 PM »
I think most paper and cardboard containers are somewhat acidic and humidity would affect the container leaching acid than the humidity alone affecting the balls themselves. I use coffee cans, or plastic containers. I have some old Hornaday's in their original cardboard container and they are quite frosty.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 10:05:01 PM »
Jeff,
The oxidation won't hurt anything but if you want to keep it from occuring, or clean them up, spray some WD40 on them.
Mark
Mark

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 11:36:26 PM »
Jeff,
The oxidation won't hurt anything but if you want to keep it from occuring, or clean them up, spray some WD40 on them.
Mark
Very true and in fact are better to keep a hold of with cold fingers!

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 11:53:41 PM »
keep them in a plastic or glass jar with an oily rag and shake them around a bit.  A good way to recycle old motor oil, or use it for blacksmithing. Just a thought. 

Jeff Peters

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 03:40:01 AM »
Thanks to all
I'll give the motoer oil and WD-40 a try
Rodger good point about a better grip in cold weather

Jeff

Offline Kermit

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 08:00:43 AM »
Oxidation happens in the presence of--ta da--oxygen! Humidity has naught to do with it, in my understanding. I put new-cast balls in repurposed glass jars with good gaskets in the lids. Screw 'em down snug. The oxidation will take place until the oxygen is taken up by the process. Viola! No more oxygen in the jar, oxidation stops. I have balls I cast maybe 20 years ago, and they remain in the unopened jars, nice and bright. But if you are in the habit of often opening the jars to remove a few balls, you are putting fresh oxygen into the system, and the process begins anew. It works for long term storage, which is why I use smaller jars, holding maybe 8oz by volume.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

ottawa

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 03:19:33 PM »
if you have a food saver vac put some in a vac bag and vac seal them no oxygen no oxidation

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 11:00:01 PM »
This subject keeps coming up like the sunrise.  The oxidation on ball is of no consequence and affects nothing AT ALL.  The idea of wasting time "cleaning" a lead ball is beyond absurd.  Shoot them as they are and you'll be fine.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline wmrike

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 12:41:15 AM »
I've not had any white oxide form on my bullets.  Stored in a box (in teh basement, no less) or in a tin, they stay bright.  If I leave them in my hunting pouch for a couple months they almost go black.  Still shiny, but black.

Offline duca

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 01:08:23 AM »
Hi all, I cast mine and when cool, I put them in a container and spray them with Ballistol.
"Ballistol" does it all..........lol ;D
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline Kermit

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 01:32:34 AM »
Many years ago a fellow new to our club asked the question, "What does it mean when my balls get this white stuff on them?"

A quick wag among us advised that it meant it was time to change his shorts. ;)
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 01:55:58 AM »
Oxidation happens in the presence of--ta da--oxygen! Humidity has naught to do with it, in my understanding. I put new-cast balls in repurposed glass jars with good gaskets in the lids. Screw 'em down snug. The oxidation will take place until the oxygen is taken up by the process. Viola! No more oxygen in the jar, oxidation stops. I have balls I cast maybe 20 years ago, and they remain in the unopened jars, nice and bright. But if you are in the habit of often opening the jars to remove a few balls, you are putting fresh oxygen into the system, and the process begins anew. It works for long term storage, which is why I use smaller jars, holding maybe 8oz by volume.

Never, ever drop a glass jar full of lead balls on a concrete floor. You will be cleaning for months.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 04:58:05 PM »
I usually mold about a 1000 rounds at a time and they last no more than about 6 months. They don't have time to develop oxide.

But for those that store long time. How about using powdered graphite on the balls. It seems that's what Hornady and others use on their balls, hate all that black stuff gets all over everything but they don't oxidize.

William Worth

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 06:32:19 PM »
A greater concern of mine is handling the oxidized balls leaves more lead residue on my hands in a form that is more readily absorbed into the body.  I would not be surprised that the roughened surface of an oxidized ball may provide better purchase of the patch....

I store my cast balls in repurposed one Qt. plastic milk bottles.  They seem to be holding up well. 

I agree with the notion that the available oxygen gets used up in a confined space lending to better storage conditions.  I suppose lead roof material simply gets the oxidized material removed constantly by ongoing ablation so that it doesn't show up as a crumbly white layer?

Lead fish sinkers deteriorate rapidly in the soft plastic lures to the point of disintegrating.

Offline Jim Hart

• Starting Member
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 09:20:59 AM »
I've had some in a ziplock bag for over a year - still bright and shiney.

Shootrj2003

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2013, 09:29:56 PM »
If it bothers you much tumble them in a reloading tumbler the store them in air free storage.

William Worth

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 03:39:22 AM »
I have long wondered what the coating is on "Buffalo" brand roundballs.  It seems to be dark and glossy, but clear, maybe a lacquer?  They seem to be very stable oxidation wise.