Author Topic: Grizzly sharpener  (Read 4461 times)

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
Grizzly sharpener
« on: January 06, 2009, 03:56:04 AM »
Anybody have any information on this:

http://grizzly.com/products/10-Wet-Grinder-Kit/T10010

Larry Luck

Offline 490roundball

Re: Grizzly sharpener
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 04:55:08 AM »
Larry

not that tool, but I have several Grizzly tools, power and otherwise.  Never been dissatisfied with one. 

that and the store's on the way to Dixon's or Fred Millers ;D

Rick
"It's a poor word that can't be spelt two ways" Tom Yeardley in Swanson's Silent Drum

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 07:53:30 AM »
Larry,

That is just like my Tormek grinder.   It is really pretty simple.  Grizzly couldn't screw up copying it.  I use it all the time and couldn't imagine doing without it.   It is actually the sharpening strap that I use all the time.  The profiled leather strap for gouges is an essential option on the Tormek.  I don't know if Grizzly offers it or not.  If not, you should pay the extra for the Tormek.   It is expensive, but it is worth every penny.   I consider it an essential tool for any woodworker.

Mark E.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 08:56:16 AM »
I really prefer the LapSharp www.woodartistry.com/ or the Veritas MkII sharpener  http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=48435&cat=1,43072 over the Tormek style sharpener.  The reason being is the the Tormek ends up hollow grinding your tools due to the radius of the wheel vs. sharpening on a flat disk.  I own the Veritas MkII and love it.  I built an adapter to sharpen gouges.  The lapsharp system has a gouge holder.
DMR

Offline Benedict

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 05:52:25 PM »
I have a Tormek style sharpener which I hardly ever use.  The tools that Dave mentioned look good for doing the bulk sharpening but I don't find that I need to do that very often particularly if I keep the microbevel touched up regularly.  I would not trust that job to any power machine but rather use hand stones.

If I had plenty of space and money, I would probably get one of the Veritas machines but until then, I will use mostly hand stones.

Bruce

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 06:04:27 PM »
I to have one like David Rase and never use it. There are a lot of ways to sharpen a tool and space is getting so tiet that if it doesn't multitask I don't have room for it. I have been for rough sharping been using my 2*72 belt sander. that I can get belts from 24 to 1500+ grit.
David Veith
David Veith

titanicslim

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 06:17:59 PM »
I got excited when I got the new catalogue and saw this one http://www.grizzly.com/products/h8485

It looks just like the unit owned by a Bavarian friend of mine which brings an edge up to wow-that's-sharp in seconds

Of course, looking like it and performing like it are not always the same thing...

Offline Benedict

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 06:31:50 PM »
I to have one like David Rase and never use it. There are a lot of ways to sharpen a tool and space is getting so tiet that if it doesn't multitask I don't have room for it. I have been for rough sharping been using my 2*72 belt sander. that I can get belts from 24 to 1500+ grit.
David Veith

Belt Sander!!!  Why didn't I think of that?  I have a 2 X 72 sander also.  I will use that next time I need course sharpening.  Thanks.

Bruce