Author Topic: Flea Market Barrrel  (Read 9704 times)

Online David R. Pennington

Re: Flea Market Barrrel
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2013, 03:35:27 PM »
I did blacksmith demos at Old Central City Days and took a break and looked through the flea market but didn't see anything that caught my eye. I've got a wedding to finance in Sept. so I know what you mean about budget restraints. Finding a $12 gun barrel will help with the next build. I ended up selling my old 1917 German Mauser to finance my recent anvil purchase. I sort of hated to part with the old Mauser but I didn't want to pass up such a nice anvil. I had never shot the Mauser but the guy who got it showed me a 200 yard target  with five shots in a one inch ring!
What kind of locks do you have? I may need one for that long barrel gun.   
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Old Bob

Re: Flea Market Barrrel
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2013, 07:19:28 AM »
I found some old guns in Central City several years ago. Too rich for my blood. One was a rifle that Bill Large made and the shop owner actually didn't want to sell it since Bill was a family friend and they had some old German Jaeger style rifles.

I bought a box full of lock parts at the York shoot a couple of years ago, the same batch that Manton I sold you came from. That Summer while on vacation with the wife I stopped at Jim Chambers' and bought some extra parts from Barbie. Enough to finish a couple of large Germanic locks. I've got one done, just needs polished up and tuned a little. After I get some chores done I want to get started on another one this week. These are large early style locks with a banana plate. I've got several L&R Classics incomplete that need parts made or bought and one more L&R Manton that needs a mainspring. I'm saving it for another light rifle or pistol. I'll either make one or order another of the new forged springs from L&R. I do have a handful of percussion plates as well, mostly L&Rs of various styles.