Author Topic: ramrod groove  (Read 3321 times)

Offline hortonstn

ramrod groove
« on: April 16, 2013, 08:15:05 PM »
is it common for a ramrod grove to not be centered?
guess what mine isn't??????
paul

Don Tripp

Re: ramrod groove
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 08:57:18 PM »
I used to order semi pre-carved full and half stocks out of Muzzleloader magazine back in the 80's (I can't remember the company but their add was in every issue) and I can't remember ever getting a stock that had a centered ram rod, but then again I was buying his advertized "seconds" because they were such a good price. I'm looking at a slender southern mountain rifle stock that I ordered from Mountain State in 1996 and the R/R groove is centered.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 09:41:57 PM »
On some originals the ramrod groove is angled to the sideplate side of the stock.  It allows the hole to go past the trigger guard lug if you're lucky.  Also sometimes the panel on the sideplate side of the stock is tapered to the rear, starting the castoff right away.  Originals are not always symmetrical.
Andover, Vermont

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 03:10:48 AM »
well mine is off and i am #$%$?. and i measured that line .
I decided to opened my ramrod groove to hide a bit of the offset
i guest the rest will be eye balled, but i think a know where the problem arise , when i made the channel the wood flex more than i thought it would.
I don't know if i will everrrr get it . I am so pi&*(&).
Sorry just felt good to hair out a bit. Went in the search section gave me good pointers if any other tricks so welcome.
Denis

Bernard

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 04:27:51 AM »
not rr grove problems. Maybe we can solve the problems Thursday.

Michael

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 02:36:18 PM »
I have when the need arises angle the ramrod groove and hole towards the side plate side of the stock. If I'm making a thin gun, like a Carolina Gun, I try to keep the hole off center so the mainspring doesn't break into ramrod hole. I use a Early Ketland lock for these guns and it has a fairly wide mainspring. It's alot easier to shift the ramrod hole than have to fuss with modifying the mainspring.
If the ramrod hole location is really critical I cut the ramrod groove and drill the hole first and then inlet the barrel so I get every thing where it needs to be.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 08:35:09 PM »
I did one a while back where the mainspring and ramrod collided. I fixed it by making a little shoe out of copper to ride against the 3/8 ramrod drill. I reinserted the drill, placed the little copper shoe to press against the side of the drill in the mainspring mortise and used a c-clamp and a spacer to force the drill to the off side as I redrilled. I was able to egg out the hole in the back end enough to make room for mainspring and ramrod.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA