Author Topic: Stupid question time  (Read 2110 times)

Offline Ezra

Stupid question time
« on: April 22, 2013, 09:19:04 PM »
OK guy's, it is time for my stupid question(s) of the day.

Can someone please explain to me the difference between the following?

What is the difference between a Double set - Double action trigger setup like Davis offers and Double set-Single action triggers like what Bud Siler came up with?  I do not understand the differences of how they work (operate).  I reserve the right to ask more stupid questions...

Ez
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 09:23:13 PM by Ezra »
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Stupid question time
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 09:31:07 PM »
The ONLY dumb or stupid question is an unasked one. The double action triggers
can fire the lock by using only the front trigger and the other type MUST be set by
pulling the rear trigger.It can fire ONLY by releasing the spring driven rear trigger.
I just finished a double action trigger for a man on this list. I haven't made a single action
trigger for over 40 years and never plan to. In antique rifles,they usually must be set before
the lock can be cocked and are frequently seen on caplock rifles that have NO half cock
whereas the double action or two lever typed are useable with better quality locks that have a
fly in the tumbler to slide the sear over the half cock notch.Notice that I say "half cock" because
almost ANY lock can be fires off the half cock by a hard pull on the trigger.In modern use,the
half cock is a convenience for capping and in loading by allowing the air compressed by the ball
and patch being pushed down to push powder up under the nipple. Hope this helps.

Bob Roller

Offline Ezra

Re: Stupid question time
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 09:56:57 PM »
It helped very much.  Thank you Bob.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"