Author Topic: A couple of fowlers  (Read 7861 times)

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
A couple of fowlers
« on: April 20, 2013, 05:02:54 PM »
    Below are some photos of a couple of recently completed fowlers.   The Bucks Co. style fowler is based upon an original by a little known Bucks Co. maker E.Bloom.  I deviated from the original by using a John Shuler fowler butt plate.  The original had a butt plate that was probably cut down from a Bess Butt plate and then given a negative pitch.  The negative pitch made the original a bit uncomfortable to shoot.  Bloom used the two "Liberty heads" as a carving at the front of the lock like Antis did.  The fowler sports a 44" 16 ga. Getz barrel, late Ketland lock.  The second fowler is based upon the Melcouir Fordney fowler in Grinslades book of fowlers.  This was a fun build because I have always liked Fordney's destinctive style.  The more I studied the photographs the more details I saw and added. I wish I could have had the original for study before starting this project.   This gun sports a Colerain 20 ga. barrel and a late Ketland lock.

"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline duca

Re: A couple of fowlers
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 05:16:38 PM »
Real Nice Lucky! ;D
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline elk killer

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 05:30:16 PM »
nice pieces..
my comment would be, to  have slim the lock panels, a bit more. and hide the pin,
for the trigger guard in the lock mortise.
really nice work
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 06:00:44 PM »
I like em both. You did a great job carving and on the finish. I a big fan of dark stained guns ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 06:51:55 PM »
Yay Ron!
Beautiful!!  Your attention to detail is wonderful on both guns.  What a great choice of subjects to build.

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 07:00:07 PM »
Ron, I like them both also. Nice creative effort on the Fordney, I think you've captured the style well. I'm just glad I didn't have to inlet that sawtooth thumbplate  ;D Your finish coloration and variance in tone is always superb.

I know Bucks County guns are a specialty of yours but I think Elk Killer makes a good point on the lock moldings. Existing Bucks County guns I have seen have really delicate moldings. 

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 10:25:58 PM »
Beautiful work.  The finish is outstanding!  Thanks for sharing
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 01:27:10 AM »
Very nice, Ron. I love the color.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 07:22:39 AM »
I'm partial to Fordney's .Nice job.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 04:29:31 PM »
Nice, Ron!  I really like the stain and finish.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline duca

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »
 I'm just glad I didn't have to inlet that sawtooth thumbplate 

What Tom Said. LOl
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

pushboater

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 04:58:19 PM »
Great job Ron! I especially like the color of the stain and the way you achieved the appearance of mild wear in all the right places.  Is it Aqua Fortis?  Also, what was your technique for achieving the color variations at the normal wear spots?

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 06:08:06 PM »
Always enjoy your stuff Lucky R A, no exception here. Like them both!!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Meteorman

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 07:19:47 PM »
I'm a fan of both.
Love to stop in your shop sometime Ron and say hi when I'm up your way.
Unless of course you run a visitor-free shop.
Cheers, mike

Offline cmac

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 09:51:03 PM »
Both very nice! Love the bottom one with the wear plate

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 10:00:16 PM »
They are both wonderful pieces!! The carving is great.  I love to see Fordney carving.   I love the color effects you achieve....how did they get so old without any dings and scratches??   ;) ;) :o ;D ;D ;D ;D
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline alex e.

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 02:57:36 AM »
I was able to fondle the  Fordney gun today at the JCL shoot. Very nice indeed :)It shoulders very naturally.
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline Longshot

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 02:17:51 PM »
I've got room in the loft for them two sisters right now.
Screamin' fine work!

~Longshot

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 09:41:54 PM »
Beautiful color on the wood and I love the finish on the metal!

Tony

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 05:56:36 PM »
     Thanks for all  the comments and inquires on the fowlers, the feed back from peers is an important part of anyone's journey in this endeavor.  I will try to address and answer some of your questions.
Tom, Elk Killer you are partially correct on the lock panels.  The Bucks Co. gun was inspired by one of the very early ones by E.Bloom.  The original used a cut down Bess butt plate and guard, and also used a steel \Bess ram rod, thus it was a beefier gun that what is commonly found in the classic Bucks guns built about 20 years later.  The original used a "Tulip trade lock" that was near the size of the L & R Durs Egg lock.  The Fordney lower panel could have been about half the size it ended up---amazing what you see after you photograph your guns.
        As to staining, I often use LMF Honey Maple as an initial stain.  I follow this with a coat of LMF Nut Brown going rather light in wear areas.  I then give the entire stock a seal coat of thinned finish.  After the seal coat is dried, I come back and rub out the wear areas with a Scotch Brite (maroon) pad.  I then shape in the dark areas using Trans Tint dye (Dark Mission Brown)  in total I use a total of four trans tint dyes, a honey color, a red/brown and antique maple.  These are wiped on over the seal coat and feathered out using progressively lighter dyes on a piece of 4-0 steel wool.  After allowing the dyes to dry and gas off over night, I proceed with the follow up coats of finish to fix the colors in place and finish the gun.   

Best wishes

Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 01:13:09 AM »
You still have the fire in the belly, nice to see.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Online Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2013, 04:33:26 PM »
Ron,

IMHO you have really captured the spirit on both of these guns.  They have a lot of appeal to my eye.  Well done!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing