Author Topic: What I'm working on.  (Read 3289 times)

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
What I'm working on.
« on: April 28, 2013, 10:34:44 PM »
It's not quite done but I'm gaining opn it. It's a .55 x 48" octagon to round smooth bore barrel Salvo had tucked away. The wood was also one he had up in the attic. All parts are stuff he had except the lock. I had to spring for that. It's as skinny as I was 45 years ago. :/

« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 10:37:02 PM by Keb »

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
Re: What I'm working on.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 01:41:06 AM »
One coat Federal Blue milk paint & some linseed oil.  :/
I've wanted to do this for years but never had the nerve.

Offline deano

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 04:06:20 AM »
Sure is blue....really blue!

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 02:22:09 PM »
Geez Keb, feeling a little blue were ya!?! I have read of these guns being painted but never actually seen one. I like it, don't know why I like it, but I do. Does it get another coat, or a varnish on top? Are you going to treat the steel with browning, bluing, or let it age in on its own. The gun has nice lines on its own, I'd like to see the finished piece. Two thumbs up from this Yankee!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 03:02:29 PM »
Being a TN gun person I can't say I've ever seen a blue gun.   Can you share a little background on the history of such a piece?  I like it.  It's different for sure.  Thanks for posting.  My hats off to you for the leap of faith it takes to paint something you have put so many hours of work into.

Cheers,
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 05:02:31 PM »
Good morning Sir; Keb- the last picture you posted, a darker blue, rubbed down with white areas. I would try and return the wood showing areas to blend with the darker blue color. Use, handling, will alter the high use areas as time passes. The Robin egg blue Trade Guns, for me, does not work. Your color works. Thanks for sharing. AJ.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 05:03:24 PM by alyce-james »
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

pushboater

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 07:12:51 PM »
Very Unique!  I guarantee you probably won't see another one like it.  It's a genuine conversation starter. 

Capt. David