Author Topic: What is your weakness?  (Read 15808 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: What is your weakness?
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2013, 08:20:50 PM »
I HATE buttplates.
Now this is a good example of what makes the world go round. I look forward to doing the buttplate (except for drilling/countersinking the screws). Don't mind the entry pipes but again hate doing the lock mortise!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2013, 08:23:54 PM »
I have the most trouble with the buttplate and entry pipe.  That and just staying focused.  My mind moves faster than I do.  Right now my mind is on two projects from now and I need to finish the one I have now.

Coryjoe

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2013, 09:24:23 PM »
Mike Brooks, I just adopted a BPCR 1874 Shiloh Sharps chambered for 45/90 and it is currently my weakness. It has the long freebore the 1985 era Shiloh had??.... which makes for a frustrating gun, but it sure is fun to make smoke with.
Galations 2:20

bashermax

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2013, 11:49:50 PM »
No DOUBT, Engraving.  Unless you have $1200 to throw at a Power Graver, forget it.  To do a couple guns, it just ain't worth it (to me) to pop for Professional equipment, however the Caveat is... don't expect pro results.

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2013, 03:19:00 AM »
Engraving takes time and practice, but spending a lot of money on pneumatic tools isn't required.  Lots of wonderful work throughout time has been done with traditional methods. 

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2013, 03:27:32 AM »
I'm with Rolf. Too many projects going at once and acumulating more makes my work on almost any aspect of gun making suffer. Gotta just work on one at a time I think would improve mine and probably others work quality.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2013, 03:54:02 AM »
I had to laugh when I read the post on air gravers.  I bought a used Gravermeister about twelve years ago, and have never turned it on.  I continue to drive my chisels with a home made hammer, but my gravers are better quality now since I met GRS.

I struggle with getting the tang screw square with the top of the tang, so that the head of the countersunk screw head lays right.
I struggle with inletting the pipe part of the entry pipe so there are no gaps alongside.
I struggle with inletting the breech end of the barrel so there are no gaps alongside.
I struggle with getting the colour of the wood I have in my overactive imagination.
I sometimes struggle with the short strokes at the end of a build.
I struggle....
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2013, 05:23:08 AM »
Taylor, I've seen pics of your work, looks like your coping well with your struggles.    ;D   

Offline Michigan Flinter

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2013, 03:25:14 AM »
  My biggest struggle is getting my cutting tools sharp and the entry pipe . Would rather start from a plank than a precarve  .

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2013, 04:02:35 AM »
Maybe one of those guys that has no problem with entry pipe inlets would do up a tutorial for the rest of us suffering in entry pipe purgatory.  :D
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

dagner

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2013, 06:55:17 AM »
  courage to take the great big horse shoe rasp or the  pwer grinder to stock for firsat time. also the first time you take excess wood off of your stock with the band saw.  all rate  10 on the butt pucker scale.

Online Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2013, 07:01:45 AM »
I had to laugh when I read the post on air gravers.  I bought a used Gravermeister about twelve years ago, and have never turned it on.  I continue to drive my chisels with a home made hammer, but my gravers are better quality now since I met GRS.

I struggle with getting the tang screw square with the top of the tang, so that the head of the countersunk screw head lays right.
I struggle with inletting the pipe part of the entry pipe so there are no gaps alongside.
I struggle with inletting the breech end of the barrel so there are no gaps alongside.
I struggle with getting the colour of the wood I have in my overactive imagination.
I sometimes struggle with the short strokes at the end of a build.
I struggle....

I am currently foot dragging on a tumbler hole location in a lock plate.
I tend to dislike what ever is giving me trouble at a given time. I like lock inletting better than entry pipes and buttplates.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2013, 06:09:33 PM »
out of the struggle comes triumph.
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline Ezra

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2013, 10:19:56 PM »
out of the struggle comes triumph.
volatpluvia

Not always, despite my best efforts...

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline sdilts

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2013, 01:09:31 PM »
Polishing the metal parts. I absolutely hate it.

Online James Wilson Everett

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2013, 03:40:35 PM »
Guys,

My weakness is clearly woodwork, I'm not very good at it.  Sometimes I feel that if I had an apprentice or Journeyman in the shop, I would delegate woodwork to them.  After all the metal work is complete, I think that the fun part is over, now for the unattractive stuff!  I know this is weird.

Jim

JB2

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2013, 04:42:05 PM »
Knowing when to stop, step back and think about something.  I still tend to just barge forward and regret it later, especially when I start getting tired.  At least I'm a lot less likely to throw my chisels now that I've learned how to make them 'scary sharp'!!  Blood will do that to ya. :o  Still learnin!!

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2013, 12:52:43 AM »
I am building a pine stocked rifle. The resin stripe is like hard plastic and the white wood is like soft balsa. Everything on the gun is inlet and i just finished the entrance thimble. Took me three days. I hate to do entrance thimbles and this one was sure a challenge.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2013, 12:57:11 AM »
I am building a pine stocked rifle. The resin stripe is like hard plastic and the white wood is like soft balsa. Everything on the gun is inlet and i just finished the entrance thimble. Took me three days. I hate to do entrance thimbles and this one was sure a challenge.
I would say your main weakness is making poor wood choices...... :o
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline B.Habermehl

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2013, 01:03:44 AM »
My biggest weakness is the Round Tuit. ;) Just can't seem to get around to it.  BJH
BJH

Offline PPatch

« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2013, 02:09:01 AM »
Knowing when to stop, step back and think about something.  I still tend to just barge forward and regret it later, especially when I start getting tired.  At least I'm a lot less likely to throw my chisels now that I've learned how to make them 'scary sharp'!!  Blood will do that to ya. :o  Still learnin!!

Ho boy, can I relate to that. I have to watch myself or I will barrel threw and screw something up WORSE. Now, I know better, but "in the moment" I have the tendency to keep working at something that is not going well already.  A good example was about a month ago scraping molding on my forearm, I botched it in a few places but kept at it with a self-made tool that was not doing the job. I am to this day reworking those areas, it took me a while to develop a plan to correct three or four minutes of going past the point where I should have stopped.

When I am tired - these days I am good for about four-five hours of concentrated work - I tend to ignore that fact too long. I am getting better though. I will now stop and go do something that does not require so much concentration.

These are not new tendencies, I did the same thing when making commercial art. Someday perhaps I will learn.

dave

Jim Everett: we might make a team - you do all that metal stuff which twists me in knots and I will do the wood, which I love and have a knack for.
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline RAT

« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2013, 05:37:23 PM »
1. I take too long.
2. Tool making. I've only built 2 guns. My 2nd one took forever (see #1) partly because I decided I needed to make a lot of specialty tools.... which didn't work anyway and took time to make that I could have spent on actual gunmaking. Lesson learned, make do with the tools I have.
3. Entry thimble.
Bob