Author Topic: Lindsay graver sharpening system  (Read 6297 times)

SPletcher

Lindsay graver sharpening system
« on: January 06, 2009, 06:14:13 PM »
I searched in the archives and found several have bought this system.

I think I am going to get one but was wondering what template have you settled on?  The universal 116 or the universal 96.

How is the system working for you?

Thanks,

Steve

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Lindsay graver sharpening system
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 08:42:02 PM »
Hi Steve,
The Lindsay system is great.  You don't need an expensive sharpening system, just the jigs and some stones.  However, it is designed to sharpen angles suitable for hand engraving not using the graver as a chisel.  The heel angle would be too shallow to sharpen a chisel.  I use a Lindsay Airgraver so all of my tools are sharpened as hand gravers.  You could make your own template for chisels, which would probably work well.  Another limitation is that you can only use square gravers in the jig.  GRS or Grobet gravers will not fit.  It is designed for Glensteel or Momax cobalt type blanks. The other limitation is that the graver holder is made for the bare graver without a handle.  If your graver is long enough you can attach it to the jig by passing it all the way through the holder but if the shank is short you won't be able to use the jig unless you remove the handle.  I use the universal, detail, flat, and caligraphy templates.  I mostly use the detail template because I find that I cannot see the tip clearly with Steve's universal design, although it cuts wonderfully.  The face is broad and I cannot see the tip in the metal very well even under magnification.  It is just my eyes and the lighting that I have available not any failure of Steve's design.  Good luck Steve and I hope the info helps you.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

SPletcher

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 04:08:22 AM »
Thanks,

I will be doing hammer and chisel.

What if I adjusted the exposed tool to change the face and heel angle? 

In talking with Steve he said I could change the face angle to 50 degrees and the heel to 20 degrees by only exposing 7/8" out of the jig.

Shouldn't that be a workable setting for hand engraving?

I am not having much luck with consistantcy with Mckenzie's method.  Looking for something that is easy to be repeatable.

Steve

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 05:03:51 AM »
Steve,

I too have the Lindsey sharpening system, and I'm quite satisfied with it.  I'd also add that I disagree with Dave that the sharpening angles are not suitable for hammer and chisel engraving.  I now have Lindsey's Airgraver system with the foot control, but prior to that, I sharpened 3/32" square graver blanks with the Lindsey jigs and used them for "hammer and chisel" engraving, and found them to work just fine.  I also found that a "generic" Xacto knife handle with the center of the collet drilled out to the appropriate diameter  works like a charm as a handle for the graver bits. (I'm away from the shop at the moment and can't tell you the exact size drill bit)
As far as the tip of the graver being too big and difficult to see, I ground away more material on the top and sides of one bit to make the overall size much smaller.  The business end is still the business end regardless of the amount of metal on top.
I don't recall the size of the angle of the universal jig , but you could get by doing a lot of engraving with it alone if you have to.

The Lindsey system definitely gets my vote.
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 07:52:39 AM »
Jeff,
That is very good information that I will try.  I just assumed the difference in angles between hand and chisel gravers would prevent the Lindsay system from working well unless you changed the length of graver in front of the jig.  Anyway, I will try sharpening chisels because there are some spots, particularly below the pan on flintlocks, that a hand graver will not work well.

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 10:30:49 PM »
I use both but find the 96 the angle I use most often. The 116 works well for me on script. Considering the modest cost, you might consider getting both templates. TWO THUMBS UP  on the sharpening system. It is simple, consistent and economical.

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 03:11:30 AM »
I have all of the different Lindsay templates and am finding uses for each one, depending upon the job at hand.  The only problem is keeping track of which tool is ground to what angle.  Earl Lanning was here in the shop today to get some advice on techniques.  He suggested using different colors of nail polish on the tools to distinguish between then.  Great Idea!  I'm going to get colors to match each of Lindasy's colored templates.