Author Topic: Excessive drop?  (Read 12095 times)

Vomitus

Re: Excessive drop?
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 05:14:54 AM »
 Ez, I like how John C does it. Stout load,75 yd. zero. Just aim a little high of center on an elk @100 and you're packing meat! Don't be afraid to jack that charge up to 120gr. of 2f,maybe more for your hunting pleasure.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 07:56:49 AM »
Maybe someone should write a book on this, or, maybe it has already been done.....several times.   Maybe we should back up
to Ezra's first question.     He states that it shoot to point of aim at 50 yards, and shoots well at 100, but is 7" low.  What is
wrong with that?  No matter what we do, a 58 cal. rifle will not shoot flat out to a 100 yards.   You can change his sights to
hit at point of aim at 100.......would it not shoot 7" high at 50?   He already stated that the gun shot well, why would you want
to change patches?   He might want to try a heavier load, it might change the amount of drop he is now getting at 100 yards,
but, will it still group well?   He will get a lot more shots at a deer within that 50 yard range than he will at 100.   I was amuzed
by the one solution that he needs higher sights, not really sure what that would do...............Don

In some parts of the country you might get more shots at deer within 50 yards. But here in eastern Washington
where Ezra and I live that is not the case. Wide open, with just sagebrush and bunch grass for cover. If you can get
within 100 yards you are lucky or have exceptional stalking skills.

This is something many in the east have a hard time getting into perspective.
I have shown this photo before. I have killed a number of deer and an antelope or two either in this photo or somewhere behind the camera 150 yards or so.

If there are deer or antelope here there is terrain that can be used but it will also require some low crawling to get inside 150 especially for antelope.

I have killed deer to 140-150 yards with 50-54 caliber rifles. I like to have them sighted so that they are withing 2.5-3" of line of sight to 120-130 yards.
For where I live and the opportunities that may present having a rifle sighted dead on at 50 or 75 yards is silly. If its 2" high at 50 it will be more useful than "on" and 1 to 1.2" high at 100 is better and will give a maximum point blank for deer in the 120-140 yard range. Meaning there is no hold over or under needed shoot for the vertical center and the critter is history. if the rifle in on at 75 it may be so low as to fall off the deer with a center hold if the range estimation is wrong.
While there are rifles that shoot light loads better it has not been my experience most rifles seem to like faster loads. 50-54s seem to do best with 90-120 gr of powder and 90 of FFF Swiss moves a 54 out very nicely something around 1900 from my rifle. The last deer I shot with a FL was 105 yards offhand. She had seen me and there was no more stalking possible.

So far as a 58 not shooting flat. If 1700 fps can be obtained it will shoot flat enough to allow 100-110 yard zero for deer.
From Hornady's Ballistics calculator

No its not "flat". It is, however near perfect for deer sized animals to 125 yards with no change in point of aim.
If its 150 then hold top of the back. Past that takes a lot of practice.
Dan
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 07:57:51 AM by Dphariss »
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2013, 06:36:13 PM »
Well done, Dan and particularly valid 'out here'.

Don, thicker patches allow heavier, more accurate loads giving higher velocities and flatter trajectories for shooting over unknown distances.

Note the roughly 2 1/2" high at 50yards and 2 1/2" low at 125. Looks about perfect for a hunting rifle giving a 5" kill zone for a 125 yard pint blank range.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Vomitus

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2013, 11:31:08 PM »
   Dan,
    After looking at your picture with that wide open space, I'd likely hunt with a high power. Man Oh man, that is one big open area! We have log slashes that are large but I don't hunt them other then a passing look or two. In the timber,(here,it can be really thick), I love a muzzleloader. In the open, I use the heavy hitters.

Dogshirt

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2013, 04:03:41 AM »
But out here the deer LOVE the open. The forage they eat grows in those areas.