Author Topic: Chunk gun shooting at Friendship  (Read 7207 times)

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
Chunk gun shooting at Friendship
« on: June 06, 2013, 03:22:26 PM »
I'm headed for Friendship early tomorrow and thought this might be my time to try chunk gun shooting.  I've never tried chunk gun shooting anywhere , let alone Friendship.  I believe it's done a bit different at the nationals.  Can anyone give me explain how it's different at Friendship?

I have a pad, chunk, shaders, etc; but I don't have any bib overalls.  :)
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

mmprwarner

Re: Chunk gun shooting at Friendship
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 05:34:23 PM »
The primary difference between friendship and most of our local clubs is at friendship all matches except the A. W. Coon Super match which put three balls on each target where the local clubs put one ball to one target. Don't fret to be plenty of people around to help you this, have a good time. Hope to run into you down there. Be careful and have a safe trip.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 07:39:38 PM »
Chunk gun is alot of fun, and can be more fun if you bring elbow pads along. Getting up after the shot can be choring for some too.

dagner

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 06:35:38 AM »
 GETTING UP IS A LOT EASYER NOW .DUDLEY SHOWED US HOW. USE A BATH STOOL .TRIED HIS GOT MINE  FOR US OLD !@#$% WE USE IT GETTING UP AND DOWN.

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 06:19:19 PM »
I came back from friendship earlier than planned because of a family health problem. I got the important stuff done - like talk with all my friends - some I don't except at Friendship.

I planned to shoot chunk this week, and took the heaviest flint gun with me for that purpose.  Instead of shooting though, I focused on the things I needed to do to be better prepared.  I looked over all the chunks, kant blocks, and other supplies.  I talked with a couple of friends that shoot chunk about a kant block on a full stock rifle. With their ideas, I now have one for my gun.  It wasn't as easy as mounting one on a half stock, but I think it will work.

Even if it was a short week, it was fun and informative.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

billm

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 06:10:39 AM »
I got my first taste of chunk gun at friendship this year,A fellow there let me shoot his gun with 48in heavy barrel.I loved it and will be shooting soon.The most fun thing Ive shot....going to have one in a month..

Militant_Hillbilly

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 06:52:40 AM »
Anyone know who the winners were?

rhbrink

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 01:55:14 PM »
If a feller were to build a chunk gun who would be a good barrel maker?

Richard

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 03:03:59 PM »
Jim McLemore in Hebron,Indiana for sure. He specializes in them and uses 4150 Certified Gun Barrel Steel.

Bob Roller

rhbrink

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 03:17:25 PM »
Thanks Bob would you have any contact info?

Richard

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 04:01:01 PM »
Richard,
The snail mail address is Jim McLemore-18503 S.Union-Hebron,Ind-46341.
I THINK the phone # is 1-219-552-4050. Also <sleepyhillsbarrels.com>

Bob Roller

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 04:03:54 PM »
Richard,
Try this,I think it's still active <jmarg@netnitco.net>

Bob Roller

SleepyHillBarrels

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 08:18:39 PM »
friends

the  info on me is sleepyhillbarrels.com
 219 996 4297
16005 south grove rd. Hebron in 46341
 at this time due to my wife being in real bad health I am not getting out any orders.
she just had her 7th back surgery in the last 12 mos. at this time she is showing some
improvement I have high hopes of getting back in the shop soon.any extra prayers out
there send them our way. I thank you for your patience.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 09:03:37 PM »
Welcome to the forum Jim! Good to see you posting. You and your wife have my heartfelt wish for her continued improvement and for you getting back to doing what you do so well. Your craftsmanship and skill are legend in the muzzleloading community.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 11:04:55 PM »
Richard,
I would contact Pau Griffith. Champion chunk gun shooter and barrel maker for the winners; pcgrifffith@aol.com.
Mark
Mark

rhbrink

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2013, 04:17:56 AM »
Thanks guys for the info and sleepyhills barrels a prayer is sent for the speedy recovery of your wife.

Richard

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 06:51:47 AM »
Jim McLemore in Hebron,Indiana for sure. He specializes in them and uses 4150 Certified Gun Barrel Steel.

Bob Roller

His barrels top of the line. We ended up with 7 of them and while I am the only one with one shooting they are all very smooth and very uniform in bore dimension. Perfect is not too strong a word.
First class material and first class workmanship.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

dagner

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013, 08:24:38 AM »
 dan   you shoot  lots of barrels -give paul griffith  a try   .smoking buck was right  .almost  all the top shooters in chunk ln chunk shoot his barrels.most  the chunk records  are held by his barrels  he also  made a big splash in the bench gun barrels. whole bunch of new records set with his barrels to. now turning out false muzzled buffalo barrrls   
dag