Author Topic: old e shot great  (Read 4533 times)

dagner

old e shot great
« on: June 21, 2013, 02:01:15 AM »
   took 23 lb chunk gun out today   52 in  spydermatic barrel 1/66 twist   bowers underhammer  action   .495 hornady balls .020 texas  teflon  with drop of water wiped across back. cleaned and scraped after every shot .threw 8 center of ball to center of x   2.665 inches that was with a .865 dead low shot  number 8 .started at noon 90 ended  up 95 .got hot and quit ,still had to load up.   no wind no clouds 4.1 inch white circle 10 inch black   .115 pin head spydermatic front and rear sights  shaders on both .used 100 grains by weight of 2ff old e .burned very clean. recoil was more like shooting 3ff.  looking forward to seeing results from the top shooters smoking buck -neal-spyderman and number 1 chunker.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 02:04:30 AM by dagner »

Offline Kermit

Re: old e shot great
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 02:09:35 AM »
"scraped"

Huh?
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

mbush50

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 02:16:35 AM »
Hi, please forgive my ignorance , bu what is a spydermatic front and rear sight?
Michael

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 04:59:58 AM »
What is a Spydermatic peroid!
The Pistol Shooter

dagner

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 06:48:57 AM »
  scraped  means using a scraper to clean the face a flat face breech plug.for match  target shooting a build up of crud on the breech face will cause bad things to happen.when shooting 100 grains or more it can really build up deep quickly.  spydermatic is the name used  by custom barrel maker/builder  from mich.he makes top of line match grade target barrels.    for chunk shooters his barrels hold almost all the records and shot by most of top shooters . his bead front sight with built in shader also to protect the fine posted  bead  and  rear sight has a small 1/2 circle notch and sight  slides along a rail..held in place by set screw,you can set your eye relief over 10 inches -depending on the sky and how you are seeing  the sights that day.they   are shot by well over half of chunk gun shooters. -his false muzzles bench barrels have been setting new records and winning big at friend ship  .his newest babies are the 38 cal for the 13 lb weight board shoots.going to pull my old 17 lb  45 cal flint gun out  that don getz made me  and give it a try this weekend  he called chunk guns   x-omatics   ,it and spyder mean shooting the center of x out of the target .right now Charlie bowers hold the 10 consectutive shot record of 2.46 inches dave krumme used to hold it with a 2.57  all you have to do is shoot the center of x out around 8 shots out of the 10 at 60 yards using crude non adjustable rear sights.to give you a idea how small the total group hole  was 4 practice shots and 10 match shots were comepletely covered by a quarter. this game is for us old !@#$% that cant shoot off hand any moreAand bench rest is to serious. old enysford powder  is showing some  real promise
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 10:12:06 AM by dagner »

Paul Griffith

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 02:15:52 PM »
I came up with the spider-matic name back 25 years ago when first getting into making barrels. A good enough shot that you have a ball hole with four legs of an X heading out from it is called a spider in the chunk game.

Back to the original post concerning  Eynsford powder. Dag's group of 2.6" for 8 shots @ 60 yds would have had 6 thru a hole the size of a quarter with the two .8" strays missing a bit. As far as chunk groups goes this is typical or at least what we are hoping to see.  The .8"s are operator error & the core group reflects what the gun & load are capable of doing. To me it's one of the first shootings using Eynsford that looks very good.  The group & score are typical of what we're gettig out of Swiss. I got a couple pounds of the Eynsford from NMLRA last week & plan to do some shooting with a machine rest.
Paul

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 06:06:02 PM »
dagner and Paul - thanks for this thread & the explanations.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

mbush50

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 06:28:06 PM »
Are there images of the thing anywhere? How do I buy one?
Michael