Author Topic: Browned or grey?  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Ravenshurst

Browned or grey?
« on: December 22, 2022, 01:19:47 AM »
Hi all.
I am wondering about the finish on an ‘early’ rifle. I am not HC/PC, but I do want something that won’t stand out TOO much.....
So on just-a-generic early colonial/Virginia/Christiansbrunn.....
On your personal rifle, browned or grey barrel and lock face?  Or in the white?  Not really interested in faux patina, either.
Thanks.

Offline Greg S Day

Re: Browned or grey?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2022, 02:22:14 AM »
I cold blue them and then rub them back.  They get better looking each year of use as the finish fades.  They now look like guns delivered in the white that were used hard.

He Conquers Who Endures

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2022, 02:30:28 AM »
You probably already know what you want. Since none of us know what a new gun looked like in the 18th century there really aren’t any rules which say what is right and what isn’t. You could also enter charcoal blue into your list of options. Find a gun out there with a metal finish that you like and then ask questions.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Ravenshurst

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2022, 02:42:45 AM »
Greg - thanks for the reply. Looks neat. The bird looks pretty good too. What caliber is that?
Stoner - actually I really don’t know. Not white, and, for this weapon, not charcoal or fire blued.
So.....what do you gentlemen prefer on your own firearms?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 03:48:02 AM by Ravenshurst »

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2022, 03:06:33 AM »
Barrel greyed using Stoner's (Wayne's) barrel recipe, easiest one I've ever done, I think if you search here, you could find it.  Lock just polished in the white.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2022, 05:09:37 AM »
Hi all.
I am wondering about the finish on an ‘early’ rifle. I am not HC/PC, but I do want something that won’t stand out TOO much.....
So on just-a-generic early colonial/Virginia/Christiansbrunn.....
On your personal rifle, browned or grey barrel and lock face?  Or in the white?  Not really interested in faux patina, either.
Thanks.
Good chance they were fire or charcoal blued or left in the white.  I like rust blue myself.
But brown barrels too.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2022, 08:23:15 AM »
Browned barrel with a white lock.

Offline Greg S Day

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2022, 02:59:56 PM »
The turkey gun is a 16 ga. fowler.
He Conquers Who Endures

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2022, 05:26:03 PM »
I like rust blue or browned barrels and polished lock in the white.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2022, 05:54:20 PM »
I cannot locate it again to save my hide, but I saw in one of the longrifle books a photo of a late 18th century gunsmith advertisement from Wilmington, NC.

The gunsmith advertised various tasks like flintlock repairs, door lock repairs, etc.  He also advertised that he wanted top quality curly maple and would pay well for it.  Trust me, there is very little sugar maple in balmy Wilmington. 

The period ad also advertised both blue metal inishing and brown metal finishing.  That answered in my mind whether either finish was more appropriate for the time period of our interest.  I'd say "both". 

God Bless,   Marc

Offline Ravenshurst

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2022, 06:27:24 PM »
Unfortunately, the more research I do, the more I learn how little I know.  Every thing I read on the 'net is contradicted by the next thing I read...
Greg, that fowler is very nice.
I am leaning towards browned barrel and lock, but I am not yet positive.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2022, 07:58:26 PM »
What was the composition of "Japanned Black" used on Marine muskets.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2022, 09:11:03 PM »
Unfortunately, the more research I do, the more I learn how little I know.  Every thing I read on the 'net is contradicted by the next thing I read...
Greg, that fowler is very nice.
I am leaning towards browned barrel and lock, but I am not yet positive.

Well to the hobby lol it’s part of the journey.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2022, 09:15:56 PM »
Ravenshurst:  if this is the only longgun you'll ever possess, I can see why you might have trouble making up your mind.  But somehow, I doubt that that is the csse.  So just make every one just a little different...variety is the spice of life.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mule Brain

• Summerville, SC
    • Charles Towne Long Rifles Black Powder Club
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2022, 10:11:59 PM »
Here is what is left on an antique rifle I have from Huebert Hill 1885

This rifle wasn't a production gun, but near a copy of a Leman

Those Without Arms Cannot Defend Freedom

South Carolina's Oldest Black Powder Club

https://charlestownelongrifles.com/

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2022, 11:39:18 PM »
I have one in brown, and one in Patina (grey). I like 'em both. So....there's that! :)

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2022, 12:43:44 AM »
Japanning was a dark paint. Often enough black but sometimes a ver dark (almost black) brown. If you have something on Marines japanning their muskets please share, as the most I’ve found is they preferred English pattern muskets due to the brass fittings.
Psalms 144

Offline Ravenshurst

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2022, 03:26:25 AM »
Ravenshurst:  if this is the only longgun you'll ever possess, I can see why you might have trouble making up your mind.  But somehow, I doubt that that is the csse.  So just make every one just a little different...variety is the spice of life.

I already have my next two rifles planned.  No, three.  Wait...four...lol

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2022, 10:10:23 PM »
A rifle I had built many years ago was finished gray and looked terrific.  Another thing was that it still acquired more "patina".  Most of my current ones are some variation of brown.  But if I wanted another one I'd have that one done in gray since everything else is either blue or "brownish".  There is a caplock among them with a dark, faded looking gray finish and I like it.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2022, 10:23:11 PM »
Japanning was a dark paint. Often enough black but sometimes a ver dark (almost black) brown. If you have something on Marines japanning their muskets please share, as the most I’ve found is they preferred English pattern muskets due to the brass fittings.

I merely recall hearing or reading about Japanning the marine muskets for rust protection at sea.  Might have been noted in the "Firearms of the American West" when discussing the rubbing or boning of the metal parts of the muskets to make them shine, and some soldiers using steel ram-rods for this "practice". This, of course, caused excessive wear of all parts and rods as well.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2022, 01:14:11 AM »

I merely recall hearing or reading about Japanning the marine muskets for rust protection at sea.  Might have been noted in the "Firearms of the American West" when discussing the rubbing or boning of the metal parts of the muskets to make them shine, and some soldiers using steel ram-rods for this "practice". This, of course, caused excessive wear of all parts and rods as well.
I've not seen anything on US Marines doing such. It may have been a Royal Marine thing. I do know by the percussion era, it was a practice for Naval arms to be requested Nickol plated, there may have been some varnishing experiments going on as well.
Psalms 144