Author Topic: Suggestions for Color Case Hardening  (Read 5949 times)

westbj2

Suggestions for Color Case Hardening
« on: January 09, 2009, 01:24:27 PM »
I just got a package of parts back from Don Menck of Color Case Company in New Springfield Ohio.  The job was unfinished and returned as I sent them.  Apparently Don has contracted some serious medical issues and is now out of business.  Best wishes to him and a hopeful recovery. 
Any suggestions as to who I should contact for color hardening work?
Thanks
Jim Westberg

Bill Brockway

Re: Suggestions for Color Case Hardening
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 03:19:04 PM »
Jim  -

Sorry to hear about Don Menck.  I have used his service for a number of years , and found his work to be well done, promptly executed, carefully done with a concern for historical accuracy, and just plain beautiful, all the good stuff.

Hope he will get better soon.

Bill

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 05:08:04 PM »
Jim, I have had a Sharps action and ladder rear sight done by these folks:   
Fred Heinzelman & Sons
790 Washington Ave
Carlstadt, New Jersey ( NJ) 07072
United States    
Phone :  201-933-4800       

Also Doug Turnbull, well known in the single shot crowd, does color casehardening:
http://www.turnbullrestoration.com/store.asp?pid=20022&catid=19872
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 05:08:51 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 07:00:34 PM »
Jim,
There is a place located in Beecher, IL that does excellent work  I forget their name but will get it for you.  They are well known and reasonable.  In addition, if you have an FFL, you get a large discount.  They price their jobs by the batch, not by the part.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 10:10:24 PM »
Jim,
This is the place I recommended and you can see on their website an impressive list who do likewise.  They have moved from Beecher, IL to Crete, IL

http://www.classicgunsinc.com/

There prices are generally cheaper than shown on their website and even cheaper if you do the disassembly and polishing yourself.  Let them know if you are an FFL holder too.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 10:55:50 AM »
I just got a package of parts back from Don Menck of Color Case Company in New Springfield Ohio.  The job was unfinished and returned as I sent them.  Apparently Don has contracted some serious medical issues and is now out of business.  Best wishes to him and a hopeful recovery. 
Any suggestions as to who I should contact for color hardening work?
Thanks
Jim Westberg

The Wyoming Armory in Cody WY.
They do good work. Guys used to work for Ballard till it moved and did their CC hardening etc.
I have had some stuff CCed by them and never regretted it.

Wyoming Armory LLC
(307) 527-4570
356 W Yellowstone Ave, Cody, WY 82414

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine