Author Topic: Spoon gouges  (Read 4978 times)

Bioprof

Spoon gouges
« on: January 11, 2009, 05:29:42 AM »
I see that Woodcraft has some Pfeil spoon gouges on clearance.   I don't see that they would be very useful for muzzleloader building, but I could be wrong.   They are clearing them out pretty cheap.   Are they good for anything?   I'm always a sucker for a bargain.   ::)

Offline J. Talbert

Re: Spoon gouges
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 09:29:30 AM »
You may find one or two of those spoon gouges useful inside the lock mortise, although my preference for, say the main spring area, would probably be a 5mm or 8mm, #5 or #7 sweep.  I like to remove the bulk of the wood within an inlet with a gouge first, then smooth the surface, removing the ridge tops, with a chisel.  I find the gouges faster and more forgiving than chisels for this. They also allow you to easily cut across the grain in tight spots.
Back to those spoon gouges, one other area they might be helpful, is the tail end of the trigger guard inlet where the grain is almost always working against you, although I can usually get by there cutting across the grain with a straight small shallow gouge.  The deeper the inlet, the more likely the spoon gouge would help.
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 04:31:27 PM »
Good for making ladles, spoons and other hollow ware.

Maybe a small one for a grease hole in the stock........
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 10:56:14 PM »
I have 3 spoon gouges.  I only use 2 of them consistantly.  I have a 2a/3 and a 2a/1.  The 2a/3, because it is almost flat, I use all the time as a scraper for the bottom of trigger guard inlets, side plates and locks.  The 2a/1 I use less frequently.  I like it because of the bend and small width I can reach into a lot of hard to get places.  The other gouge, a 9a/3 I don't think I have ever used.  In fact, come to think of it, if someone needed it I would make them a good deal.
DMR

Offline Benedict

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 12:25:11 AM »
I have 3 spoon gouges.  I only use 2 of them consistantly.  I have a 2a/3 and a 2a/1.  The 2a/3, because it is almost flat, I use all the time as a scraper for the bottom of trigger guard inlets, side plates and locks.  The 2a/1 I use less frequently.  I like it because of the bend and small width I can reach into a lot of hard to get places.  The other gouge, a 9a/3 I don't think I have ever used.  In fact, come to think of it, if someone needed it I would make them a good deal.
DMR

I guess I have to ask about the designation that you are using, Dave.  I am not familiar with that particular designation.  Could you explain them for me?

I purchased one of the #1 3mm spoon gouges that Woodcraft has on sale and am thinking that it will be useful for lock inlets.

Thanks,
Bruce

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 01:30:27 AM »

I guess I have to ask about the designation that you are using, Dave.  I am not familiar with that particular designation.  Could you explain them for me?

I purchased one of the #1 3mm spoon gouges that Woodcraft has on sale and am thinking that it will be useful for lock inlets.

Thanks,
Bruce
[/quote]
Bruce, On the Swiss gouges the first number is the sweep and the second number is the width in mm.  A number 1 is flat and a number 9 sweep is a half circle.  The in between numbers are some where between.  Hope that kind of answers your question.
DMR

Bioprof

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 01:45:21 AM »
It sounds from most of the comments that they aren't essential for longrifle building.   Since I just bought a whole set of gouges, I think I'll pass for now.   ....Still, it's tempting.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 02:07:36 AM »
They are not very useful for gunbuilding.

I just bought one because I had several glorious piece of firewood with grown over branches...just the ticket for ladles, sorry, not longrifles.

if you are inclined to making all kinds of things, it's good to have a spoon gouge or two in your drawers......
Tool drawers, for the filthy minded.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Benedict

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 02:54:17 AM »
So based on Dave's description I just bought a 1a/3, a 3mm wide #1 sweep.  Right?

That being the case then maybe it will be useful since Dave uses a 2a/3 for bottoming deep inlets.  That I what I got mine for (besides the price was quite low).  I have yet to use it because the deep inlets are already done for now.

Bruce