Author Topic: first attempt  (Read 3997 times)

Virginiaboy

first attempt
« on: July 18, 2013, 08:03:45 PM »
I want to make an attempt to build my first rifle ever in the style of a Southwest Virginia rifle. What is the best rifle to look at for ideas? What are the best places to read on exactly how it needs to be done?

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
Re: first attempt
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 09:23:05 PM »
There're lots of references out there.  What is your background, have you done much fine wood/metal work ?  Are you wanting to scratch build, that is start with a block of wood and a box of parts ?  Or one of the many "Kits" available ?  If you haven't done so yet, get a good book on rifle building. Alexander's book has a lot of info & good pic's.  Others as well.  Study those and try and come up with a plan.  Virginia parts are available from TOW, Chambers & others.  Look at as many examples as you can, then make/draw a pattern on cardboard or plywood to assemble the gun before you start work.  Track wolf catalog has locks, & other parts full size.  Photo copy those and place on pattern to get a starting point,  works for me.  That way you get an idea where everything belongs--to avoid conflicts in part placement.  Hope this helps some, give it a go--we need all the help we can get.     ...Tom 

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 03:17:54 AM »
What does a "Southwest" Virginia rifle look like? Like a James River rifle or a Southern mountain rifle? For a first build, I suggest a kit from Jim Chambers (Silvers Virginia) or Pecatonica (Virginia or one of their southern mountain styles).
Gene

BIGMAN

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 03:29:29 AM »
As to Gene's advise I can attest to taking it a couple of months ago. Bought a kit from Jim Chambers. My first build in 30 years is going well. I also took the advise on books and DVD so I can study before I try doing it. And, finally to take it slow. There is a lot to learn on a first build.

Now for my second build I am planning on a pre-revolution Rupp smooth rifle. Hoping what I learn from my Chambers kit (and I have learned a lot already) that my next project is going to be a little more from scratch.

Offline Rich

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 05:02:24 AM »
Why not take a weekend to go to Williamsburg. George Suiter is the gunmaker there and can give you a lot of information, like what to look for when looking at originals, how a Virginia gun differs from a Pennsylvania gun, etc. ( Make sure he will be there before you go.) The museum has a lot of original rifles on display. Looking at originals is great, however if you don't know what your looking at, they all look the same. Getting the architecture right is not a simple task. Learning it without any guidance is really difficult. At least your in Virginia and not on the west coast like I am.  For a good "how to" book, "Recreating the American Longrifle" is pretty good. Have fun with the study before you start the build.   

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 07:55:04 PM »
If you have time and can make it to the CLA show in August go. Find Ian Pratt and Wayne Elliot and talk to each of them about southern rifles. Ian knows a lot about southern rifles and is a fantastic builder. Wayne is a southern rifle collector. Both of these people are more than willing to share their knowledge with people that are sencerly interested.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 08:45:38 PM »
Don't know exactly where this one is from. I just liked the architecture. If I wanted to pretend I was knowledgeable, I would say something I think I read from Gusler  "Styling suggests it may be from the upper James area, from either Botetourt or Rockbridge County9. A relatively shallow trigger guard and stock with little drop are characteristic of Virginia rifles."

But really, its a damnifino.

Offset triggers like in North East Tennessee. No hardware save couple of iron thimbles & iron trigger guard. Converted from flint, English lock. I may make a shorter, .40 cal version on an old stock blank, Insha'Allah.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 11:08:07 PM »
JC, about when was that rifle made?  What does the lock look like?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 12:32:53 AM »
  Take a look at this: http://www.holidaylake4h.com/flintlockrifle.php

It is close to you and will get you started in the right direction.

Tim C.