Author Topic: English toe box  (Read 3024 times)

Offline T*O*F

English toe box
« on: July 31, 2013, 11:53:31 PM »
First time making one of these.  What a PITA!!  It's copied from an original English gun I have.  The little bugger is sure hard to hold.  I left the body attached to the silver barstock for convenience but that little lid is almost impossible to hold and file at the same time.  It's about 1/2 the diameter of a dime.  Left it attached as long as I could, but now comes the final fitting.  Still have to solder a small block to the tab for the pin to go thru and make the spring for the backside.  Otherwise, it will have to be left raw and filed to the contour of the stock after it's inlet.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Re: English toe box
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 06:40:37 AM »
TOF,

That is certainly some small detail work there, I can hardly wait to see it on the gun.

One question for you though....  what are you gonna keep in there, a Geritol capsule?    :D

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Ted Kramer

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 01:31:07 PM »
Looks like a tedious job but you have it coming along nicely.

With a deep enough cavity you should be able to get several M&M's in there, perfect snack when hunting.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 02:17:12 PM »
Pretty neat Dave. I like your method of leaving the piece attached to the bar until you're done. I look forward to the finished piece.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline cmac

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 02:00:12 AM »
Nice! What is it going on?

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 05:13:17 PM »
What is it going on?
 I look forward to the finished piece.
 I can hardly wait to see it on the gun.
Well, I hope you guys are still around when I finish.   ;)

I am building 3 Alexander Henry rifles concurrent with one another.  My hope is to combine similar operations at each step to save time.  I have been waiting 3 years for the barrels and finally got them a couple of weeks ago.  But I don't want them to be clones of one another, thus my search for WB horn and exotic woods for fore end tips and grip caps that might have been used.  My gun will have the toe box on it.

I already have one Roller lock and Bob is currently building me another.  I have a piece of Kevin Cashen's Damascus and the 3rd lock will have the lock plate made from it using Davis internals.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson