Author Topic: CHECKED MY ZERO FOR ELK TODAY  (Read 4631 times)

LIBERTY

CHECKED MY ZERO FOR ELK TODAY
« on: July 30, 2013, 03:30:12 AM »
 Went out today to check the zero on my 54cal GPR. Load was 115gr 2x goex. Covered with a felt overpowder wad and a 535 round ball patched with .015" pillow ticking lubed with mink oil. Rem #11 caps.It went 1" low at 50 yards and grouped into 1/2". At 75 yards it was 3" high and grouped into less than 1". At 100 yards it was 2" high and ran just over 1" group. These were all three shot groups.Now all I have to do is find a large bull elk and do the same thing to him but with one shot. Frank

Micah2

Re: CHECKED MY ZERO FOR ELK TODAY
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 03:41:27 AM »
gettem

ken

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 03:44:52 AM »
Thats some pretty good groups! good shooting and good eyes. Good luck with your hunt. How did you come up with that  load?    ken

LIBERTY

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 06:06:56 AM »
Hi Ken,I worked up that load with info I was given on this forum.I tried lots of combos including different size balls, different size patching different weight powder charges and different lubes.It also took two barrels as I learned all I need to know about Pyrodex when I had to replace the first one!!!! As far as good eyes go not mine!!!! Mine are 69 yrs old, have had 2 cataract surgerys along with the lenses they put in at that time. Then there were detached retnas in both eyes and then I had a stroke in the left eye (my shooting eye) that cost me 1/2 of that eye and left my vision in what was left preety poor!!!! Its not good eyes its years and years of shooting all different kinds of weapons till I just have an instinct for when the shot is right and the trigger is squeezed. Frank

nosrettap1958

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 03:36:16 PM »
I've never heard a bad word spoken about Lyman's Great Plains Rifle, nothing but praise.

Good Luck on your hunt.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 03:37:58 PM by crawdad »

hlary

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 05:17:42 PM »
please excuse my ignorance but how is it that the ball can be one inch low at fifty yards and then three inches high at seventy five??

LIBERTY

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 05:49:05 PM »
Hi hlary, I assume its because the ball is still rising due to the fact that the sights are higher than the bore. OR maybe its because with these old eyes I'm holding the front sight a little proud to see it better.In either case they are hitting well inside the kill zone on an elk so i'm happy either way. Frank

Offline Kermit

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 06:19:18 PM »
Finding and shooting an elk is the easy part. Then the fun begins: gutting, quartering, packing out, butchering...

I'm too old to do that anymore. May the Force be with you.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Dogshirt

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 06:53:12 PM »
Finding and shooting an elk is the easy part. Then the fun begins: gutting, quartering, packing out, butchering...

I'm too old to do that anymore. May the Force be with you.

That part is what sons and grandsons are for! ;D

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 10:28:28 PM »
That part is what sons and grandsons are for!

Same thing my dad used to say about mowing the lawn and my whole reason for existence!
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Dogshirt

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 03:32:24 AM »
I thought it odd that after my brother and I left home that the lawn had grown too big to mow
without a riding mower!

Vomitus

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 08:43:16 AM »
  packing meat...with a quad,Ya!