Author Topic: Journal of Historical Armsmaking  (Read 8376 times)

Offline blucher

• Starting Member
Journal of Historical Armsmaking
« on: August 01, 2013, 01:53:14 AM »
Hello,

Can anyone give a brief synopsis of what is in each volume of the journal of historical armsmaking books?

Thanks.

Offline satwel

Re: Journal of Historical Armsmaking
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 02:33:16 AM »
I own two volumes, Vol I, August 1985 and Vol. II, June 1987.
Vol. I is a lengthy article by Gary Brumfield all about flintlock design and lock making; The Production of Flintlocks Used on Colonial American Rifles: Raw Materials, Tools, and Technology. It is a step by step description, with photographs, of the process of forging a complete lock, by hand, from wrought iron. Also shown are some tools that were used, like  tumbler mills, screw plates and taps and a screw grinder. The locks shown in the photos and illustrations all look like large Silers.

Volume II has five articles. The titles are pretty self-explanatory;
Two Virginia Rifles as Documents of Traditions, Shop Tools, Processes and Technology by Wallace Gusler
The Golden Mean Proportion in Baroque and Rococo Firearms Design: an Art-Historical Approach by Barry Bohnet
A Patchbox Release Mechanism by David Wagner
A Barrel Crowning Tool by David Wagner
Making and Using a Scratch-Stock for Forearm Moldings by Russell Swanson

Offline Rich

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 11:27:13 AM »
vol 3 is a copy of "The Gunmaker and the Gunstocker" written in german in 1771. In addition to the german language version there is a translation to english. That is followed by an artical by Shumway on the Brandenburg school of gunmaking.
Vol 4 has a description of a gunfactory (in german with english translation), a study of lock timing, includes some pictures of locks, and a discussion of a wheelock mainspring vise.

Thom

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 04:55:53 PM »
There is a complete set of five on eBay right now. I didn't know there were five volumes in the set

BIGMAN

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 05:03:24 PM »
Here is what it said about Vol V:
Volume V: Volume V, June, 1993

Riflemaking Workmanship: A Rifle by John Sheetz by Wallace Gusler & David Harvey

Charcoal Bluing of Rifle Barrels by James Anderson

Cock Forging: A Study in Technology by Gary Brumfield

Ramrod and Walking Stick Tool by Lynton McKenzie

Sawatis

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 08:06:21 PM »
You know folks, that set is a valuable resource...I always wondered why the journal didn't continue??  Given some of the extensive research on topics posted on this board that I've seen in the last couple years...topics like 18th C screw making, Artificer's toolsets, and lots of others...several of y'all would be prime candidates to take up the reins and revitalize such a series ...just a though ;)
John

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 02:27:37 AM »
You know folks, that set is a valuable resource...I always wondered why the journal didn't continue??  . . . . .
John

John,
I suspect it was a matter of funding. Gary worked with me when I was finishing up the lock timing article in Vol. IV.  Even then he was always securing finding.  After Vol. V was done, I think funds became tough to find. I think the National was feeling the pinch about this time too.  Gary told me he even considered changing the format, perhaps going to a CD. I don't know if he had potential articles ready or not. I don't think he would have given it up if there was a way to continue.

Regards,
Pletch 
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 04:30:04 AM »
A lot of what was in JHAT can now be found on this web site.   Perhaps someone could edit some more popular threads together to produce an e-book.   It had crossed my mind, but there has to be some financial reward for that kind of investment in time.   Technically,  ALR.org owns everything that has been posted.    It could give someone a percentage deal to put something together to be sold through the site and then some.    Most of the money would have to go to the person doing the work, the rest would go to running the site.   Just a thought, but I think that some more business work would have to be put into this.  
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 03:14:17 PM by Tim Crosby »

Sawatis

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 05:18:56 PM »
Yeah, Thats what it usually comes to is funding. I think Mark has a good suggestion...be a good way of supporting the site. With all the research and effort that some of the members here have put into studying specific methods and procedures, a indexable reference like an ebook would be ideal...this stuff was all lost before, hate to see that happen again!
John

Offline JDK

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 01:07:26 AM »
$228.50 with 2 days left to bid!  I can wait for them to be released on CD. ::)  Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 02:06:10 AM »
They are not likely to be reprinted or released on CD as the original camera ready proofs were lost for the earliest volumes.   They can be scanned but scans of digitally printed photos have an artifact that seriously degrades the quality of the image.   Maybe one of these days when there is software that can properly scan them.   

Offline b bogart

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 03:53:15 AM »
And the binding isn't that great on them too. I have the first two. Lotsa good info, but it's loose leaf now. $228?????? Holy smokes!

Offline James

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 12:18:23 PM »
I paid $200 for just Vol V from Gary Brumfield, it is the most difficult to find, the information in these books is invaluable.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

coutios

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 03:42:07 PM »
  Check the NMLRAs WEB site... They still show Volume 4 available for a couple of bucks if anyone is interested...   Dave

Offline James

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 02:43:27 AM »
The complete set on ebay sold for $431.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry