Author Topic: Wanting to learn in the Scranton, PA area  (Read 2406 times)

mustangpalmer1911

Wanting to learn in the Scranton, PA area
« on: August 06, 2013, 08:06:39 AM »
Looking to build my first rifle and looking for someone to learn from. Live just north of Scranton, PA.

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Wanting to learn in the Scranton, PA area
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 07:27:42 PM »
 My advice is to buy a Jim Chambers kit. Definitely not one of his severely complicated models, and then, get Jack Brooks's video discs, on the various phases of building a longrifle. Go slow, and remember, you can't weld up wood, and rework it. Also, remember when you think you have taken off too much wood, you probably haven't taken off enough.

Hungry Horse

billm

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 10:54:26 PM »
Contact the jacobsburg historical society in  Nazareth ,They offer a class that is on saturdays and they have it 2 or 3 times a year its 8 weeks long .I took it and it was good.Also I found a great builder close to my house who has been mentoring me in building for the last 2 yrs. Check the shoot schedals in muzzleblasts and attend a local shoot.I am sure you will find a local builder who will help you.

mustangpalmer1911

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 02:36:05 AM »
HH Thank for the info.  Have a link for the Jack Brooks vids? Only one I can find one on carving.

Bill Thank you. Going send out the registration form ASAP. Found a couple builders not to far from me and am planing on getting some help from them.

Offline fm tim

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 04:37:46 PM »
The Jacobsburg class is tremendous.

Knowledgable builders and collectors as instructors commenting as you build a rifle.

You can not beat that.