Author Topic: Barrel Lapping  (Read 3356 times)

Offline Chunker119

Barrel Lapping
« on: August 07, 2013, 08:30:28 PM »
I have never lapped a barrel before. What is the process? Tools needed? Tips or Suggestions?

Thanks,
MM119
Colton L. Fleetwood                
     "Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway"  - John Wayne

Offline Rich

Re: Barrel Lapping
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 08:47:50 PM »
I make a lead lap that's about 1 1/2 to 2 inches long. To do this, remove the breech plug. Take a long ramrod blank and wrap string around it about 2-3 inches from the end of the stick so that it is tight in the barrel. insert it from the breech end of the barrel, string end first. Push it to a point a little past the end of the barrel. Make sure the stick is long enough to grab from the breech end when the muzzle end is a little past the muzzle. Pour melted lead around the stick from the muzzle end. The string will stop the lead from going all the way down the barrel. You will end up with a lead impression of the barrel about 1 1/2 to 2 inches long. I use fine valve grinding compound (from auto parts store). Put a little on the lead lap and pull it through the barrel, then push it back to the muzzle. Do this until your done.

Smoketown

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 11:37:45 PM »
MM119,

Not knowing how bad your barrel is ...

What are the symptoms?

Rusty or pitted bore?

Rough bore pulling fibers off of cleaning patches?

Cut patching when loading?

Problems with the appearance of fired patches?

Pictures of the patches?

Is it beyond 'shooting it in' or maybe some oiled 4/0 steel wool wrapped around a brass bore brush?

Some people have had good results "fire-lapping" their barrels.

http://www.neconos.com/

Also, on your push-pull stroke, make sure your lead lap never fully leaves the barrel ... It will never be properly re-indexed once you've broken the original engagement. (Learned the hard way - Confirmed by Sam May - Many barrels ago!)

Cheers,
Smoketown

Offline Chunker119

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 12:00:42 AM »
Well my gun is a chunk gun. Accuarcy is pretty good but lacking just a touch. My barrel is in great shape but I can see minor chatter marks on the riflings. Hope this info helps.

Thanks,
MM119
Colton L. Fleetwood                
     "Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway"  - John Wayne

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 12:28:23 AM »
just my two cents worth, if the barrel is shooting different from when you bought or made the rifle, lapping wont help much. the only way to do this is to fresh out the barrel. i have freshed a number of barrels and they always shot differently and had to be regulated at the bench, powder charge, patch thickness and ball diameter. but after the regulation they shot just fine. i never used pored lead  castings on the freshing bolts. make the cutter (saw) the same twist as the barrel twist when you inlet it in the bolt. never had a cutter to widen the grooves over .002. float of the lands if you want. some folks on this site fresh barrels.

eddillon

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 02:10:12 AM »
Anyone interested in "firelapping' go to www.neconos.com.  Been marketing kits for centerfire, rimfire and muzzle loaders since 1992 with great success.  Questions, please call Ed at 800-451-3550.