Author Topic: grain runout in the forearm  (Read 3386 times)

Offline Elnathan

grain runout in the forearm
« on: August 31, 2013, 01:55:53 PM »
Hi guys,

I have been trying to get a piece of walnut suitable for an early rifle, and called up Dunlap, who offered me a pretty good deal on one of the last two pieces they have in stock. I said that I would buy it, but now I am having some second thoughts about the grain in the forearm.

The grain through the butt and lock area is good, and it straightens out a bit towards the muzzle, but right around the entry thimble area or a bit forward the grain is as you see it. Do y'all think this is going to be a problem?

(modified to put the correct picture up!)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 01:58:41 PM by Elnathan »
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: grain runout in the forearm
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 04:13:17 PM »
Should be fine. All the fore stock does is furnish a place to hang your ram rod.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 04:13:31 PM »
I don't think its a problem, I built one with similiar grain about 5 years ago and stay in touch with the man I sold it too and as far as I know he has not had a problem with it.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline gwill

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 04:39:08 PM »
Not an expert but I finished a Matthew Gillespie rifle a few months back that had very much the same grain pattern in the forestock. It was a walnut board that had great sentimental value that Dennis helped me with. No issues at all to this point.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 04:40:11 PM »
All right then. Thanks.

The original I am using for inspiration is missing the forearm.  Hopefully that isn't an omen.  :P
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 05:24:53 PM »
I use wood like that all the time. I get it from roadside trees, and hedgerows.  :D

On the bright side, the ramrod web will not split down the middle!
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 02:54:49 AM »
Just don't inlet the barrel tight.   I recently fixed an original English blunderbus with grain like that where the forearm looks like it exploded.   The builder had inlet the barrel too tight at one point in the forearm and had forced the barrel into the channel.   When the stock shrunk as they do over 250 years,  the forearm literally shattered.   I had a time piecing that thing back together with hide glue no less.   I had to glue it together and take it back apart several times before I was satisfied that I got it together as good as I could.   You learn a lot about 18th century manufacturing by working on English trade junk.  ;D   If you want your work to last a few centuries,  don't force parts in and don't leave a sharp corner anywhere.