Author Topic: Permalyn Sealer Question  (Read 3352 times)

Offline QuanLoi

Permalyn Sealer Question
« on: August 30, 2013, 05:49:13 PM »
If a stock that has been stained and finished with Permalyn Sealer were sanded down to the raw wood, would the stock be able to be re-stained?  Would the sealer have rendered the wood incapable of accepting the stain?

Thanks in advance...

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: Permalyn Sealer Question
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 06:33:21 PM »
Well, if you're down to raw wood, then there isn't any sealer...... right??   I've even stained through Permalyn with alcohol based stains.  But again, if you're down to raw wood, there isn't any sealer to worry about.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline kutter

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 07:30:46 PM »
The Permalyn Sealer does penetrate the wood so it's not just sitting on top. Sanding back down to bare wood still leave (some of) it down in the wood, that's the idea of the stuff.
But the wood can be re-stained with the Laurel Mtn stains right over the sealer again. They just won't penetrate as much, or as quickly depending on how much sealer the wood soaked up, grain density, ect..

Other brands of solvent based stains will usually work over the sealer too..
Best to try on a scrap piece first sometimes to make sure it'll dry completely afterwards though.
I've had some uncompatable combinations (different brands) that just never dried right and had to take the surface down again.
No problem w/ using Permalyn/Laurel Mt over each other though.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 08:18:51 PM »
If the color of the wood is back to natural, there is no sealer left.  In other words, if the stain is gone, guaranteed the sealer is gone.
In His grip,

Dane

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 10:53:58 PM »
You can also use stripper to remove the old finish. Get the kind that is non-grain raising and you will not have a lot of sanding either. I've done this when my finishing has gone astray and started over. A final wipe down with 0000 steel wool and "wash" the stock with wood alcohol on steel wool to remove any stripper residue. Leaves the stock with a very clean finish that takes stain and finish like new.

Offline Kevin Houlihan

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 01:05:14 AM »
I've stained over Permalyn when I got too aggressive with sandpaper :-[.  I used alcohol based stains with good results.
Kevin

Offline kutter

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 05:35:31 AM »
guaranteed