Author Topic: Latest Fowler...  (Read 15911 times)

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Re: Latest Fowler...
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2013, 05:20:26 AM »
Another beautiful gun Ed, your work just keeps getting better!  Very nice lines!  Your tang carving is flawless, and I like the engraving and wire inlay. 

Now that I am finished slobbering on your latest work, I have a question for you.....  You said the lock was mad by Allen.....  got any more information to share than just a first name?

Thanks,

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2013, 08:01:21 AM »
Hey Ed,
   Great to see this one finished up - same gun you brought to Dixon's, right?  It looks great!  Excellent job on the carving, especially considering how punky Black Walnut can be.  The lines are splendid, really flows from muzzle to butt.  Nothing else to say that hasn't been said already - thanks for sharing! 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2013, 03:47:00 PM »
Thanks very much, all.  The lock is one of Peter Allan's (or Allen?).  Tip Curtis has them.  This is the round face English lock.  I have one on my hunting rifle and it's performed very well.

Mark, you have nothing to be jealous about, and Ken, I've yet to see one of your pieces remotely resemble a dog....

Thanks, again.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2013, 04:28:25 PM »
Ed.... That is not just a Fowler, that is a work of art. It is beautiful and when you get tired of it, send it my way.

Envious Regards  Frank

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2013, 04:43:18 PM »
Clean work as always Ed. I am particularly impressed with your tang carving.

That Pete Allen lock appears on my screen as a beveled plate and rounded cock. Is it a round faced lock??

Is the stock profile carved from the Twigg pattern Fred had or another?

Offline t.caster

« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2013, 07:49:00 PM »
I gotta agree with all of the above...it's gorgeous!
Tom C.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2013, 01:35:51 AM »
Clean work as always Ed. I am particularly impressed with your tang carving.

That Pete Allen lock appears on my screen as a beveled plate and rounded cock. Is it a round faced lock??

Is the stock profile carved from the Twigg pattern Fred had or another?

Looks flat to me too, and if it is it would be nice to have a flat cock to go with it. The frizzen spring is a real clunker too...... No knocks on you Ed, just some observations on the lock. You're work is really good, I wasn't trying to be overly critical in my previous post.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Bear62

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2013, 02:23:33 AM »
Like it, Like it, Love it! That's really an outstanding piece of workmanship! I have a fowler planned in cherry with the same lock and butt plate that I hope turns out as nice as yours. I really like the wire work, it's very tastefully done as well as the carving around the tang. The checkering in the wrist is something I have been considering. You really sold me on it and I think I will try it on my fowler. I have another gun in the works right now so it will be a while but as soon as I get it finished I'll be starting on mine, hope it's done by next turkey season!

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2013, 03:26:06 AM »
Gent's, thanks again...

Jimmy...  The butt was carved to Fred's pattern, by Dave Keck.  As is usually the case, I took some wood off here and there to get it to where I wanted it.  I don't do a lot of guns from carved patterns any more, but I really like this one.

The lock plate is slightly rounded, but I filed a fairly aggressive bevel on it, and also took some material off the underside, near the tail, to straighten out the bottom line.  After that, it's now pretty flat...

Mike, no worries at all.  I didn't take anything as being critical, and I appreciate your honest input!  Same thing with the lock.  Without getting into negative comments, I'll just say it's not of the same quality of say, a Chambers lock.  Having said that, like I said earlier, I have one on my personal hunting / shooting rifle, and it's performed very well over the last four years.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2013, 03:56:14 AM »
I thought that profile looked familiar as I had just been comparing the pattern on Dave's website to an original screw barrel fowling piece I have with a similar profile.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 04:28:30 AM by James Rogers »

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2013, 04:48:59 AM »
I think it's just lovely!

I really like the "stepped" frizzen spring, though a bit heavy looking. The checkering, pins, and little stamps all work nicely together, and the effect overall is again, lovely.

A question: Is there a stylistic "rule" or "guideline" for silver and brass furniture and accents?

Thanks!
Albert A Rasch

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2013, 03:37:53 PM »
Albert, I think you'll find that most European guns, especially those from England and France, that have extensive silver wire inlays, will have steel furniture finished bright.  Really nice ones might even have silver furniture.   I don't know that there's really any guidelines per say, it was mostly just the style, and as with anything else, there are exceptions.

This piece was done to represent something built in America, where there's much greater leeway.  Something like this would be rare (if any even existed), I think, coming out of N. America in the 1780's-1790's.  I did the silver dots to accent the silver wire, but brass would have worked as well...

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2013, 04:56:51 PM »
Ed,

That's one awesome piece of work.  Just stunning!

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Offline aaronc

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2013, 11:44:03 PM »
Can't really say anything that hasn't already been said,...........simply inspiring work.

-Aaron
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2013, 01:06:21 AM »
Albert, I think you'll find that most European guns, especially those from England and France, that have extensive silver wire inlays, will have steel furniture finished bright.  Really nice ones might even have silver furniture.   I don't know that there's really any guidelines per say, it was mostly just the style, and as with anything else, there are exceptions.

This piece was done to represent something built in America, where there's much greater leeway.  Something like this would be rare (if any even existed), I think, coming out of N. America in the 1780's-1790's.  I did the silver dots to accent the silver wire, but brass would have worked as well...

Ed
Reminds me of the work that was coming out of Philadelphia in the1780's. Have a look at Grinslade's book in the British section.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

doug.brayman

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2013, 01:43:02 AM »
Ed, Beautiful gun! I was fortunate to hold that gun at Dixon's I was the guy out of view in that pic that you turned the chisel over to for a few minutes. I really enjoy learning from you and hope to see you again next year.

Offline dogcreek

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2013, 06:00:01 AM »
Wow, that is a really nice fowler. Such great craftsmanship.

obsidian

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2013, 06:14:10 AM »
Another beginner offering my appreciation for a beautiful piece.  Part of the magic for a new guy on the block like myself is that I don't even understand why a gun can really look right......it just does.  Yet there are many opportunities for you to take artistic license and to personalize.  This forum and you guys are an inspiration.  Can't wait most evenings when my work is done to see what is new.
Happy shooting,
Rich

JohnTyg

« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2013, 06:39:58 AM »
Just Beautiful!

Thanks for sharing.

John

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2013, 11:27:45 AM »
Ed,

Thank you for the answer.
America, lotsa leeway; gotta love it!

I have a pretty extensive collection of images of European and British firearms. I should study them more carefully.

thanks!
Albert