Author Topic: Wrist dimensions?  (Read 3809 times)

pushboater

Wrist dimensions?
« on: January 25, 2014, 10:01:31 PM »
I'd like to get everyone's opinion on what would be the average wrist dimensions for a typical Bucks county style rifle. I've never handled or actually seen an original in person and I'm trying to get a feel for how slender they actually are. I understand that some are actually wider at the wrist than they are tall, along the lines of the Lehigh rifles. Is this correct? Any insight would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Capt. David

Offline flehto

Re: Wrist dimensions?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 10:55:32 PM »
If one were to make the wrist round at a 1-5/16" dim., it would be correct. Also, adding 1/32" to the width would be correct and  possibly help w/ the carving and appeal.

The wrist dim. somewhat depends on the trigger guard....a shallow bow should have a smaller vertical wrist dim. I've  settled on the Reeves Goehring #47  which actually is a Verner TG, but I modify it w/  thumbnails on the ends of the front and rear finials. It has a slightly deeper bow VS a widely used TG that is offered by a few suppliers.

Below are 3 pics of 2 BC LRs  that have the 2 different TGs....the top pics are that of the Reeves Goehring TG and the  bottom is that of the widely used TG. Both have the same vertical wrist dim.

To  get a slender and typical  BC, the web at the breech is 3/32" and 5/32" at the muzzle.  The transition form the lower forend to the wrist is very important and thicker webs causing deeper lower forends don' t contribute to the look of a BC.

I don't consider myself an expert on BC LRs so take my info as "unsubstaniated" and  use it along w/ a whole lot of other info.

Just added the Reeves #47  TG w/ the thumbnails filed on. It's on the top BC.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 04:05:10 AM by flehto »

pushboater

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 04:42:15 AM »
Thanks Fred. With those dimensions it's really going to be a challenge to try and get my fantasy swivel breech slimmed down enough to look presentable. I'll just have to try the best I can and see how things turn out. With 13/16 barrels I think I can come close. I'm using the OTHER widely used trigger guard. Anyway, thanks again for your input.

Capt. David

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 07:33:38 PM »
Capt David,
   Take a close look at photos of swivel breech guns by Nicholas Hawk and Jacob Kuntz.  They're not Bucks co. guns, but they're prime examples of swivel breech guns built into really slim and fine rifles. 

Here's a Hawk in the ALR library
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=3845.0

-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 09:20:04 PM »
You didn't say in your first post that you were building a swivel breech.  That changes everything.  The best Bucks Co. swivel you can study is the Wm. Antes swivel.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

pushboater

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 06:03:14 PM »
I've always been a great admirer of Nicholas Hawk's Swivel Breech guns. They are indeed very slim looking, at least from all the photo's I've seen.  I've never been able to see one up close and personal.  I've lent out my copies of the RCA books, but when I get them back I'll have to make a close study of the Wm. Antes Swivel Breech. I've looked at it many times in RCA and greatly admire the rifle, but have never really taken the time to actually study it in regards to measurements and such.  I can most assuredly use the wrist dimensions as a reference and work from there. Thanks everyone.

Capt. David