Author Topic: Ball size for Rice 10 Guage  (Read 4642 times)

Offline James

Ball size for Rice 10 Guage
« on: August 17, 2013, 08:30:42 PM »
What size ball would be used with patch from a smoothbore of this size? I got it for turkey and while I don't figure on using it with ball all that much, but would like to have that option. So I want to order a mold and don't know what size I need. Thanks, Jim
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline bob in the woods

Re: Ball size for Rice 10 Guage
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 03:34:40 PM »
I have a .715 and a .735 mold  .  I have used the .715 the most lately since I like paper cartridges and that size seems to shoot very well for me.  If I were you, I would order some different sizes of balls from Track of the Wolf    or elsewhere and see which shoots best for you. Then you can buy a mold.  I no longer use a patch when shooting round balls in my smoothbore. Cartridges or wadding works best for me.

Online D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 08:13:41 PM »
Bob's experience echoes my own, except that I used the .735" ball and a .030" patch in my TRS 1st Model Bess, with excellent results.  I has a .77 cal bore, BTW.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 12:22:50 AM »
A .750 ball, works great in all three that I've built. Will be much more accurate than you think.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline James

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 12:40:18 AM »
Thanks for your help.
A .750 ball, works great in all three that I've built. Will be much more accurate than you think.

With a ball that size you only have to get close right?   ;D
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 09:41:29 AM »
Thanks for your help.

With a ball that size you only have to get close right?   ;D

19mm (in modern currency)  that's phat.  ;D
Hold to the Wind

Rootsy

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 02:50:57 PM »
Thanks for your help.

With a ball that size you only have to get close right?   ;D

19mm (in modern currency)  that's phat.  ;D

19.05 to be "exact"...  ;)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 02:51:14 PM by Rootsy »

Online Daryl

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 06:14:02 AM »
Taylor used a .735" Lyman ball with a .030" patch in his 10 bore Bess - until I loaned him my Tanner .740" mould, then he used that - same patch.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V